> Cockburn is joking, of course.

Yes, I'm sure he doesn't mean the Anglos and blacks in the area to die
from the resultant radioactive fallout...

> I am sure he does not really wish to incinerate tens of thousands of
> Hispanic men, women and children.  But, as a Hispanic American
> myself, I don't find his joke funny.
>
> Indeed, it is deeply disturbing to find that genocide against Latino
> families has become an acceptable topic of humor among the hip,
> trendy and politically correct crowd.

Let's get real here..."Latino" or "Hispanic" is not an appropriate
term to utilize when discussing Cockburn's piece, nor in discussing the
disgust the rest of the population feels for what is happening in Miami.

Cuban-Americans are a singularly unique subsegment of the American
Hispanic/Latino community, and have little in common with the Puerto
Rican community, the Mexican-American community, the Columbian-American
community, etc.

> For many years, the U.S.
> government has found it convenient to use Cuban-Americans as
> pawns in its conflict with Castro.

And the Cuban-Americans found it convenient to be so used, and willingly
complied...

> Now that Cuba is ready to open its doors to U.S. business, Cuban-
> Americans are no longer needed. In fact, they are in the way.  So
> the press has declared open season on Cuban-Americans.

And about time, too.  Cuban-Americans have wielded way too much power
in relation to their size, and it's about time they were collectively
slapped down and shown that they are not the center of the univers that
they'd like to think they are...

> The arrogance that had always separated them from other
> Hispanics is diminishing."

Bull.  They are more arrogant than ever.

> According to Rodriguez, sympathy for
> the Cuban-American cause is growing among non-Cuban
> Hispanics.

Not that I've personally witnessed.  The Puerto Ricans I work with
believe Elian should be with his father, and intensely dislike the
Cuban-Americans in Miami...

June

screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please!  These are sordid
matters