WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a prelude to war!

000709.  Air Force streamlines ADSC program

WASHINGTON (AFPN) -- In response to concerns from the field, Air Force
leaders have simplified and standardized the active duty service commitment
policy, making it less cumbersome and easier to understand.

Secretary of the Air Force F. Whitten Peters and Air Force Chief of Staff
Gen. Michael E. Ryan approved the new ADSC plan.

"The new ADSC Air Force instruction and tables are simple and easy to
understand," Peters said.  "But, more importantly, they are designed to be
fair to the individual service member.  This is simply the right thing to
do.  Nothing can be more devastating in my mind than not treating people
fairly."

The revision comes after a month-long review by an integrated process team
appointed by the secretary and chief to fix the ADSC problems.  Led by Lt.
Gen. Roger DeKok, deputy chief of staff for plans and programs, the team was
tasked to come up with a plan to simplify and standardize ADSCs.

"Our guidance to the IPT was simple," Ryan said.  "Create an easily
understood program that is fair and equitable to the Air Force and its
members."

During review of the existing program, the team found the rules and tables
governing ADSCs to be complex and ambiguous, often contributing to incorrect
documentation.  The new program lets airmen plan their careers while
allowing the Air Force to manage force requirements.

"We took the ADSC AFI from 15 tables and 189 rules down to only two tables
and 34 rules," DeKok said.  "Our primary premise was simplicity.

"The ADSC program, however, should also not nickel-and-dime our troops for
service owed, but rather be a tool that shows a mutual faith and trust for
our service to our country," he added.  "The new program puts the trust back
where it belongs -- in our people."

The major changes hit three primary areas: advanced flying training,
education and training, and promotions.

Changes to flying training include standardized pilot commitments of 10
years -- regardless of weapon system or major command -- and eliminating
ADSCs for in-unit training.

Additionally, 95 percent of education and training ADSCs were eliminated for
courses under 20 weeks.  This involved approximately 5,600 courses.  ADSCs
will also move to a standardized three years for all courses longer than 20
weeks.  This includes Air Force Institute of Technology masters degree
programs.  AFIT doctorate programs will stabilize at a five-year commitment,
and ADSCs will be eliminated for Squadron Officer School.

Federal statutes govern time-in-grade retirement requirements for senior
officers.  Given these statutory mandates for officer retirements, the
previous two-year ADSC associated with promotions for major through colonel
was not needed and has been eliminated.

Given the absence of comparable statutory restrictions on enlisted
time-in-grade retirement requirements, and Defense Department regulatory
requirements that senior noncommissioned officer promotions carry an ADSC,
the two year ADSC remains for promotions to E-7, E-8 and E-9.

Air Force members will maintain their current ADSCs -- as reflected on the
signed Air Force Forms 63 in their personnel files.  When the new AFI goes
into effect June 1, airmen will move under the new rules as they sign new
ADSC commitments.  This will primarily occur as people undergo a permanent
change of station or attend extensive training.

For those who feel an injustice has been done in the past or in the way the
new rules are being implemented, the Air Force Personnel Center commander
has been given wide latitude to grant relief.

The new ADSC tables will be available online at the Air Force Personnel
Center Web site by May 13.

000709a.gif and 000709a.jpg
Effective June 1, all active-duty service commitments will be outlined in a
two-chart instruction in "plain" English.  The new instruction applies to
people who sign commitments after June 1.  (Graphic by Staff Sgt. Cheryl
Toner)

000710.  Commentary:  ADSC changes put people first

by F. Whitten Peters, secretary of the Air Force, and
Gen. Michael E. Ryan, Air Force chief of staff

WASHINGTON (AFPN) -- After years of dealing piecemeal with repeated problems
related to active-duty service commitments, we decided there had to be a
better way.  Our airmen deserve a system they can understand.

We formed a "tiger team" to overhaul the entire ADSC system.  The charge to
the team was explicit: Make it simple!  Led by Lt. Gen. Roger DeKok, deputy
chief of staff for plans and programs, the group has exceeded even our high
expectations.

With help from across the Air Force, the team produced a new Air Force
instruction that will be published June 1.  Gone are page after page of
charts and rules.  In their place is a simple, two-chart instruction, with
rules written in plain English.  All service commitments will be in one
instruction.  There will be no more major command supplements and confusing