An old post from Alamaine on the TB situation.

----- Original Message -----
From: Alamaine
Sent: Thursday, March 23, 2000 4:24 PM
Subject: [CTRL] TB or Super TB

-Caveat Lector- -Cui Bono?-
>>>Another reason for limiting globalisation and respecting nations' sovereignty. As we may have seen in the past, the Ruskies don't have much of a care or a hoot to give about their prison populations. This is reaffirmed in the article below. Something like this (drug-resistant TB) among homeless wandering bedouin free spirited streetizens in New York or some other large well-populated places may make some of the other 'bio-terrorist' efforts look tame. And, the means of contracting and spreading is not very difficult.

From
http://www.cdc.gov/epo/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00031159.htm

> Tuberculosis (TB) is an infectious disease caused by the bacterium Mycobacterium
> tuberculosis, which is spread almost exclusively by airborne transmission.
> Although the disease can affect any site in the body, it most often affects the
> lungs. When persons with pulmonary TB cough, they produce tiny droplet nuclei
> that contain TB bacteria, which can remain suspended in the air for prolonged
> periods of time. Anyone who breathes air that contains these droplet nuclei can
> become infected with TB.

> A person who becomes infected with the TB bacillus

> remains infected for years. Usually a person with a healthy immune system does
> not become ill, but is usually not able to eliminate the infection without
> taking an antituberculosis drug. This condition is referred to as "latent
> tuberculous infection." Persons with latent tuberculous infection are
> asymptomatic and cannot spread TB to others. Generally, a positive TB skin test
> is the only evidence of infection. About 10-15 million persons in this country
> are infected with M. tuberculosis. About 10% of otherwise healthy persons who
> have latent tuberculous infection will become ill with active TB at some time
> during their lives.

This has some potential for returning the world to a medieval / feudal state in that the class systems can become once more very pronounced and strictly enforced. Donate to the World Bank freely and often!!! A<>E<>R <<<

>From NewsMax.Com

{{<Begin>}}
NewsMax.com

Advertise Your Banner Here
Drug-Resistant TB Being Spread From Russian Prisons
New York Times Syndicate
March 23, 2000

MOSCOW -- From behind the crumbling yellow-brick walls of the Holding-Cell No. 1 prison complex, a deadly epidemic is slowly being loosed upon an unsuspecting world.

That epidemic is not crime. It is tuberculosis.

Russian jails are TB incubators. Every year, tens of thousands of infected inmates are released from this country's notoriously overcrowded prisons into society.

Compounding the problem, a powerful new form of tuberculosis, resistant to conventional treatments, is spreading here, sparking fears that a new epidemic could threaten not only Russia, but Europe and the United States.

Moscow has acknowledged that it lacks the financial resources to fight TB on its own, and has begun allowing unprecedented access to its penal system. The West, faced with a possible new TB threat, has offered financial assistance.
``Tuberculosis isn't a private matter, nor is it the internal business of any one country. It is a problem without borders,'' said Alexander Goldfarb of the Public Health Research Institute, which is developing a program to help Russia contain its TB problem.

Monday, officials at Moscow's main city jail, nicknamed ``Sailors' Quietude,'' held an open house for Western diplomats and journalists. Guests toured previously off-limits cells and treatment centers as pale and thin TB-infected inmates, most dressed in sweatpants and T-shirts, coughed and peered up from their cots.

Although the prison is among Russia's best equipped, it is woefully understaffed. A doctor on duty, who refused to give her name, said the prison hospital has just one physician for every 88 TB patients.

Of the 5,200 inmates in the facility, 623 have full-blown tuberculosis. Nationally, in other prison facilities, the situation is not much better.
Health care officials estimate that 100,000 out of a prison population of 1 million have active TB. One in four of these have a potent new drug-resistant strain of tuberculosis, called MDR TB.

About 300,000 Russians are sent to prison annually, and each year the same number are released. According to various estimates, anywhere from 10,000 to 30,000 of those released each year have full-blown TB.

``Our city jails are revolving doors. . .and the focal points of the TB epidemic,'' said Colonel Alexander Kononets, head of the medical service for Russia's prisons.

Predictably, TB has spread among the Russian population at a staggering rate. According to official statistics, there are 440,000 cases of active TB in Russia. Since the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991, reported cases of the disease have more than doubled.

A recent study by the Harvard Medical School said an impoverished health care system combined with a burgeoning prison population has led to Russia's TB explosion. The report also warned that the problem could soon spread beyond Russia's borders.

``TB acquired in one country and diagnosed in another will likely become increasingly common,'' the report said.

Lee Reichman, a professor at the New Jersey Medical School and director of the National TB Center, said the disease is already spreading West.

``Moscow is the gateway to the West. The route of multidrug resistant strains of TB to the US and Western Europe starts in Russian prisons. We have already documented cases of such spread,'' Reichman said. ``It is no longer possible to ignore this tragedy.''

To address the problem, the Public Health Research Institute, with the help of a $13 million grant from the Soros Foundation, is developing a program to control the spread of TB in Russia. The program trains Russian health care professionals and provides equipment and medical supplies for TB diagnosis and treatment.

Russia is also waiting on a $150 million World Bank loan to help finance three new treatment centers.

Russian officials have also tried to address the TB problem by reducing overcrowding in prisons. The Justice Ministry sponsored a bill that proposed alternatives to incarceration, like community service, for first-time and minor offenders. The legislation, however, has been blocked by conservatives in Russia's parliament and by law-enforcement bodies.

``Death seems too steep a price for a teenager to pay for a car theft,'' Kononets said.
c.2000 The Boston Globe

{{<End>}}

>>>NOTE: The following has, at the site, options for viewing in HTML or PDF, references and linques to which are also on the site page but removed here as I am not providing linques, other than to the site page itself. But do notice that the information is new or within the last 8 or so years. A<>E<>R <<<

From
http://www.cdc.gov/nchstp/tb/pubs/mmwrhtml/maj_guide.htm

{{<Begin>}}
CDC-NCHSTP-DTBE
Major TB Guidelines

You will need Adobe Acrobat™ Reader v3.0 or higher to read MMWRs in PDF format. Download the Adobe Acrobat™ Reader. For quick access to a TB article within a MMWR, click on the article in the table of contents on the first page of each issue.

Anergy
Anergy Skin Testing and Preventive Therapy for HIV-Infected Persons: Revised Recommendations. - Volume 46, RR-15, September 5, 1997

BCG
The Role of BCG Vaccine in the Prevention and Control of Tuberculosis in the United States. (ACET and ACIP - Volume 45, RR-4, April 26, 1996

Correctional Facilities
Prevention and Control of Tuberculosis in Correctional Facilities. (ACET) - Volume 45, RR-8, June 7, 1996

Diagnosis
Diagnostic Standards / Classification of TB - Volume 142, 1990

Elderly
Prevention and Control of Tuberculosis in Facilities Providing Long-Term Care to the Elderly - Volume 39, RR-10, July 13, 1990

N/A
Foreign-Born
Recommendations for Prevention and Control of Tuberculosis among Foreign-Born Persons - Volume 47, RR-16, September 18, 1998

High-Risk Settings
Prevention and Control of Tuberculosis in Correctional Facilities (ACET) - Volume 45, RR-8, June 7, 1996

Screening for Tuberculosis and Tuberculosis Infection in High-Risk Populations (ACET) - Volume 44, RR-11, September 8, 1995

Prevention and Control of Tuberculosis in Facilities Providing Long-Term Care to the Elderly (ACET) - Volume 39, RR-10, July 13, 1990

N/A
HIV / AIDS
Updated Guidelines for the Use of Rifabutin or Rifampin for the Treatment and Prevention of Tuberculosis Among HIV-Infected Patients Taking Protease Inhibitors or Nonnucleoside Reverse Transcriptase Inhibitors - Volume 49, Number 9, March 9, 2000

Prevention and Treatment of Tuberculosis among Patients Infected with Human Immunodeficiency Virus: Principles of Therapy and Revised Recommendations - Volume 47, RR-20, October 30, 1998

Homeless
Prevention and Control of Tuberculosis Among Homeless Persons (ACET) - Volume 41, RR-5, April 17, 1992

N/A
Infection Control
Guidelines for Preventing the transmission of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in Health-Care Facilities, 1994. - Volume 43, RR-13, October 28, 1994

Laws
Tuberculosis Control Laws - United States, 1993 (ACET) - Volume 42, RR-15, November 12, 1993

Migrant Farm Workers
Prevention and Control of Tuberculosis in Migrant Farm Workers (ACET) - Volume 41, RR-10, June 5, 1992

N/A
Multidrug-Resistant TB
National Action Plan to Combat Multidrug-Resistant Tuberculosis. - Volume 41, RR-11, June 19, 1992

N/A
Screening
Screening for Tuberculosis and Tuberculosis Infection in High-Risk Populations (ACET) - Volume 44, RR-11, September 8, 1995

Control and Elimination
Tuberculosis Elimination Revisited: Obstacles, Opportunities, and a Renewed Commitment (ACET). - Volume 48, RR-9, August 13, 1999

Essential Components of a Tuberculosis Prevention and Control Program (ACET) - Volume 44, RR-11, September 8, 1995

Prevention and Control of Tuberculosis in U.S. Communities with At-Risk Minority Populations (ACET) - Volume 41, RR-5, April 17, 1992

Control of Tuberculosis in the U.S.
N/A

Treatment
Management of Persons Exposed to Multidrug-Resistant Tuberculosis. - Volume 41, RR-11, June 19, 1992

N/A
Treatment of Tuberculosis and Tuberculosis Infection - Volume 149, 1994

Vaccines
Development of new Vaccines for Tuberculosis. - Volume 47, RR-13, August 21, 1998
N/A

You will need Adobe Acrobat™ Reader v3.0 or higher to read MMWRs in PDF format. Download the Adobe Acrobat™ Reader. For quick access to a TB article within a MMWR, click on the article in the table of contents on the first page of each issue.

Home | What's New | Search | Site Map | Subscribe | Contact Us
CDC Home | Search | Health Topics A-Z

Last Reviewed
: March 09, 2000
Centers for Disease Control & Prevention
National Center for HIV, STD, and TB Prevention
Division of Tuberculosis Elimination
Please send comments/suggestions/requests to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

{{<End>}}

AER ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Integrity has no need of rules. -Albert Camus (1913-1960) + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + "Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your common sense." --Buddha + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + "Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers." Universal Declaration of Human Rights + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." Ernest Hemingway + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is distributed without charge or profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this type of information for non-profit research and educational purposes only.
www.ctrl.org DECLARATION & DISCLAIMER ===CTRL is a discussion & informational exchange list. Proselytizing propagandic screeds are not allowed. Substance—not soap-boxing! These are sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths, misdirections and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and minor effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said, CTRL gives no endorsement to the validity of posts, and always suggests to readers; be wary of what you read. CTRL gives no credence to Holocaust denial and nazi's need not apply.
Let us please be civil and as always, Caveat Lector. ======================== Archives Available at: http://home.ease.lsoft.com/archives/CTRL.html