WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a prelude to war!

SOLDIERS FOR THE TRUTH
"DEFENDING AMERICA NEWSLETTER"

"When we assumed the Soldier, we did not lay aside the Citizen."
General George Washington, New York Legislature, 1775

Soldiers For The Truth Foundation, PO Box 63840, Colorado Springs, CO
80962-3840
HTTP://WWW.SFTT.ORG
TABLE OF CONTENTS

SITREP

Hack's Column:
Article 1 -- Clinton's Spygate

"From my Position" -- On the way!"
Article 2 - The Lessons of No Gun Ri

Big Picture:
Article 3 - 21 Asian-Americans Get Medal of Honor
Article 4 -- Congress acknowledges Debt to Hmong

"VOICE OF THE GRUNT"
Article 5 -- The Truth about DACOWITS
Article 6 -- " What did you do in the War?  What War?
Article 7 -- Navy Reality - Different Standards for Men and Women
Article 8 - Small Wars: From Monroe to the New World
Article 9 -- Changing Times
Article 10 - Mother of HMO that goes to War Hits the Road

G.I Humor:
Article 11 -- Tips For Bosses of Military Planners

Medal of Honor:
Article 12 -- SITTER, CARL L, Korea 1950
SITREP:

1.  Main topics:  1) Spies and lies 2) Dealing with No Gun Ri and war's
reality 3) Leadership 4) Small wars

2.  WE STILL NEED YOUR HELP! Thanks to all of you who have responded to our
call to financial arms.  We have so far collected enough money to keep us
operational for the next 3 months.  Hack and I estimate that we need about
100k to make us the voice and organization that will give us the clout we
need.  We could EASILY reach that goal if every subscriber pitches in $
30.00.  Remember, AUSA alone has about a 20 million dollar budget and still
doesn't get anything done.  If you believe that we are the organization to
speak for the troop on the ground, support us!

3.  Methods of Support

Check or Money order:  Send to and make payable to:  Soldiers For The Truth
Foundation, PO Box 63840, Colorado Springs, CO 80962-3840.  Credit card
donation option via Website should be available by mid-May. Our site is at
www.sftt.org.

REMINDER:  Your donation is tax deductible!  SFTT is a 501 (c) 3 non-profit
educational foundation, IRS # 31-1592564.

If you send us an E-MAIL address with your donation we can immediately mail
you a RECEIPT!!!!

6.  SFTT Website.  Please check out our updates, i.e. objectives, mission
statement, book reports, etc.  If you didn't get the complete newsletter or
only the Short Version (sv), you can find it archived on the website
http://www.sftt.org.

Until next week let' s make contact - break through  -- and exploit!

R.W. Zimmermann
President SFTT
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
ARTICLE 1 - Defending America
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Clinton's Spygate
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
By David Hackworth

The Cold War isn't over, it's at halftime. We'll face the Russian Bear
again, along with a host of others hankering to thump America around the
head and shoulders with something meaner than a club. Try China, India and
Iran for openers -- or the elusive Osama bin Laden and his deadly terrorist
gang.

Bet on it. Within a decade, we'll be in a serious hot or cold brew with one
or all of the above.

When it comes to national security, the first line of defense is to keep
careful tabs on our enemies and not let them know anything about what we've
got going down. Of all the elements of war, intelligence is the key factor.

During World War II, when the saying "Loose Lips Sink Ships" was more
popular than "Drink Coca-Cola," our intel folks were worth a hundred
divisions. They did incredible stuff like breaking the enemy's
communications codes so that our generals could read their mail even before
it was delivered. And we were so buttoned up, they seldom had a clue.

Just two examples -- from hundreds -- of how this inside info helped us win:

At the Battle of Midway -- the most important U.S. battle of the war -- our
fleet waxed the Japanese.

Our Army zapped the Germans before they could checkmate our forces breaking
out of the Normandy beachhead.

Today, America's security isn't tight and right. It's blowing in the wind
like confetti. It's so bad that I doubt we have many secrets left.

During last year's war with Serbia, for example, the Serb high command knew
NATO's -- read the U.S.A.'s -- flight plans and targets before our aircrews
did. Our flyers were placed in body-bag danger, and we were the ones without
a clue.

President Clinton's Washington has become answered prayers for spies. There
are more hostile spooks inside the beltway today than cherry trees. And
because of laxness, slackness and carelessness on the part of the hired
help, the real-life 007s don't have to work very hard at stealing our
secrets.

Foreign spies have infiltrated every national-security area -- including the
White House. But the State Department especially has become a spy heaven. It
has more holes through which our secrets have poured than the USS Arizona
after Pearl Harbor, when it and most of the rest of Pacific fleet went to
the bottom.

Since 1993, there've been about four security breaches a day. In 1998 alone,
there were almost 1,700 security violations. Spies have walked into the
place, helped themselves to classified documents and slipped out. They've
bugged a conference room, then stood outside and taped highly classified
meetings. Laptop computers have gone south with top-secret information, and
classified documents have been plucked off desks by spies who roam through
the place posing as accredited State Department reporters.

Neither is the CIA without sin. Former director John Deutch's computer --
crammed full of national secrets -- was compromised. And then there's
Aldrich H. Ames, who out-and-out vacuumed the CIA files and sold the stuff
to the Soviets by the crate, causing a lot of undercover agents' deaths and
compromising scores of covert operations.

Now the FBI suspects the White House switchboard's bugged. Imagine the
national security matters discussed on the supposedly secure line from the
Oval Office to places like the Pentagon, State, the CIA and FBI. Or before
the world knew they were an item, imagine the value to a foreign power of a
tape of the president's 3 a.m. telephone sex with Monica. And don't forget
that Bill himself -- in his infinite wisdom -- saw fit to grant his girl-toy
a "Top Secret" clearance!

Since 1993, matters of security have been looked upon by Clinton & Gang as
boooring. Even back then, many of the Clinton Kids without security
clearances handled top-secret documents as if they were last week's pizza.
Congressman Porter Goss, a former CIA agent, says the problem is "arrogance
and disdain for security."

One day soon there'll be a terrible price to be paid for this almost
eight-year indifference to basic security matters. Will our children and
grandchild pay dues because we looked the other way while the markets were
high and our wallets full?

***
Http://www.hackworth.com is the address of David Hackworth's home page. Sign
in for the free weekly Defending America column at his Web site. Send mail
to P.O. Box 5210, Greenwich, CT 06831.
© 2000 David H. Hackworth
Distributed by King Features Syndicate Inc.
ARTICLE 2 - "From my Position" -- On the way!"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Lessons of No Gun Ri
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
By R. W. Zimmermann
President SFTT
05/15/00

Why is it that we either shirk the subject or overreact with denial to the
possibility that US troops might have killed several hundred Korean
civilians and refugees during the early days of the Korean War, while at the
same time, it seems much easier to re-examine and re-award medals from
conflicts past?

Maybe Hollywood has done too good of a job portraying us as the fun loving,
boisterous combatants who hand out candy bars and loaves of white bread to
the kids of all enemy nations. It seems that we're still portraying the old
good vs. bad, cowboys and Indians concept of 40's and 50's vintage.

Although in comparison to other combatant countries, our armed forces have
an enviable record of compassion, restraint, and humanitarian spirit, we
should also have learned a reality lesson with the uncovering of the My Lai
massacre.

If you talk to WWII combat veterans of all fronts, you would also come to
the realization that small scale atrocities, such as the shooting of
prisoners, was not as uncommon as official historians will let you believe.
Many such incidents were revenge acts and therefore considered justified.  I
would not be surprised that a few veterans will step forward in the final
years of their lives to talk about some of the haunting experiences that
today's TV warriors cannot fathom.

Why is No Gun Ri possible?  Hollywood and many of our armchair warrior
politicians ignore that many young GIs, deployed to a foreign land without
much training and ill equipped.  They were pretty darn concerned about their
survival against the wave tactics employed by the enemy.  In addition, the
Reds, violating the rules of land warfare, infiltrated troops from the North
in the disguise of civilian refugees.

What do you do under these conditions and when scared for your life?  You
see the enemy everywhere.  Every bush moves at night, every civilian is a
potential enemy soldier.  If in doubt, you protect your life by shooting
first and asking questions later! Only first-rate front-line leadership can
prevent such overreaction, but it has to be present!

Add American preference for stand-off weapons, such as artillery and
airpower and the possibilities for hitting a wrong target, or the right
target too hard, increases dramatically. And.killing is much easier from the
distance!  You don't have to look at faces and listen to the screams of
wounded and dying humans.  One reason Clinton loved the Air War in Kosovo!
Ever wonder how many civilians we killed with high altitude bombing vs.
going after the Yugo military around the clock?

What should we as Americans do in light of the possibility of the No Gun Ri
massacre?  Together with the Koreans, we must learn from it, just like you
learn when bad things happen to you in everyday life.  It is the ability to
look at ourselves with an open mind, not our revisionist history writers,
that sets us apart from other nations.

Instead of seeing war as the great adventure, former frontline soldiers
should take a stand to educate the public, the naïve media and our young
soldiers that war is much different from the movies.

To find the truth, we must examine the No Gun Ri incident in detail and let
those who want to clear their conscience speak their minds without the West
Point History Department trying to discredit every statement they make.
Courts martial and late reparation payments to distant Korean relatives of
the victims are not the right answers -determining the truth is!  Just
having lived with the memory of your personal involvement in this ugly war
scenario, over so many years, can be punishment enough.  Maybe the Koreans
should erect a monument to put the incident into their own national
perspective and finally to rest.

Ultimately we have to determine the lessons for the future:

For our politicians:  As guardians of our national strategy, do not maneuver
the Nation into a political corner that puts our armed forces into a
hopeless situation -- ill-trained and ill-equipped and fighting for naked
survival.

For our troops:  Don't let weak politicians and careerist military leaders
walk you down a hopeless path.  Remember the lessons of real wars and
clearly understand the mission requirements.

For the American people:  Demand the truth and only commit our country to
conflicts in our interest and which are explained to the people, as our
Constitution requires.  Before you scream foul about the enemy or your own
troops' actions, put yourself in their position.  Understand the reality of
combat vs. the romantic portrayal in the movies.

Zimm

© R.W. Zimmermann, LandserUSA
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
ARTICLE 3
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
21 Asian-Americans Get Medal of Honor
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ed.: President Clinton will award 21 Medals of Honor to Asian American WWII
veterans. Most were members of the famed 442d Regimental Combat Team - the
"Purple Heart Battalion."  Although no one questions the heroism displayed
by these brave soldiers, the move unfortunately seems orchestrated by a
President trying to win votes from every possible minority group to beam Al
Gore into the Oval office.
By DAVID STOUT - NEW YORK TIMES - 14 MAY 2000

WASHINGTON, May 13 -- More than a half-century since they braved enemy fire
after first enduring the contempt of their own countrymen, 21 servicemen
have been awarded the nation's highest military decoration, the Medal of
Honor, for heroism during World War II.

All 21 were of Asian descent, and 19 were Japanese-Americans, some of whose
fathers and mothers, brothers and sisters were interned behind barbed wire
in the days of fear and prejudice that followed the attack on Pearl
Harbor."We are privileged to properly honor the heroic actions of these
brave soldiers," Louis Caldera, the secretary of the Army, said in making
the announcement on Friday. The medals will be presented by President
Clinton at a White House ceremony scheduled for June 21.

One of the 21 honored was Senator Daniel K. Inouye, Democrat of Hawaii. As a
20-year-old lieutenant, he was gravely wounded in Italy on April 21, 1945,
while leading his platoon in an attack on a Fascist bunker. He lost his
right arm, and with it his dream of being a surgeon."I am deeply grateful to
my nation for this extraordinary award," the senator said in a statement.
"If I did well, much of the credit should go to my parents, grandparents and
the gallant men of my platoon. This is their medal. I will receive it on
their behalf."

Most of the 21 are not as well known as Mr. Inouye. They were among the
millions of young Americans from classrooms and shops, cities and prairies
who went to war. But the Japanese-Americans felt they had something to
prove, and several thousand of them did, leaving American internment camps
to become volunteers, most notably in the 442nd Regimental Combat Team.

Fighting in Europe, the 442nd became known as "the Purple Heart battalion"
for the casualties it suffered. The 442nd fought in eight major campaigns in
Italy, France and Germany. The unit suffered more than 800 casualties in the
fall of 1944 as it rescued 211 members of a Texas unit pinned down by the
Germans in southern France, a battle known in military legend as "the rescue
of the lost battalion."

The 442nd was awarded thousands of citations, including 9,500 Purple Hearts
and 52 Distinguished Service Crosses, the second-highest military honor. By
war's end, military historians say, it was the most decorated unit in
American military history.

But the victory was far from complete. Japanese-American veterans
encountered prejudice when they came home. And why, some people asked as the
years went by, were only two Asian-Americans awarded the Medal of Honor for
World War II combat, especially if 104 rated the Distinguished Service
Cross?

In 1996, Senator Daniel K. Akaka, Democrat of Hawaii, saw that a provision
was written into a military-programs bill calling for the Army and Navy to
review the 104 Distinguished Service Cross citations to gauge whether any
recipients had been unfairly denied the Medal of Honor.

Inquiries determined that the 21 honored on Friday -- during Asian Pacific
American Heritage Month -- indeed deserved the star-spangled, pale blue
ribbon and gold medallion of the Medal of Honor.

Most of the 21 were members of the famed 442nd..Here are the men who were
awarded the Medal of Honor: Rudolph Davila, Barney Hajiro, Mikio Hasemoto
(posthumous), Joe Hayashi, Shizuya Hayashi, Daniel Inouye, Yeiki
Kobashigawa, Robert Kuroda (posthumous), Kiyoshi Marunaga and Kaoru Moto
(posthumous). Masato Nakae (posthumous), Shinyei Nakamine (posthumous),
William Nakamura (posthumous), Joe Nishimoto (posthumous), Allan Ohata,
Yukio Okutsu, Frank Ono (posthumous), Kazuo Otani (posthumous), George
Sakato, Ted Tanouye (posthumous) and Francis Wai (posthumous).
ARTICLE 4
Congress acknowledges debt to Hmong
Ventura, McCain help America's Vietnam-era allies gain U.S. citizenship
Ed.:  During the Vietnam conflict, the Hmong tribe fought and died for their
CIA Masters.  Then we abandoned them.  Now it seems that strong efforts by
the media, committed politicians and retired military officers are turning
the tide. Among the crusaders for justice: COL (ret.) Carl Bernard, former
president of SFTT and decorated Korean War veteran.  An excerpt from a
WorlNetDaily report, dtd. 10 May 2000.
By Anthony LoBaido

Editor's note: WorldNetDaily.com international correspondent Anthony C.
LoBaido has lived, traveled and photographed the plight of the Christian
Hmong hill tribes in Southeast Asia during the past year.
LUANG PRABANG, Laos -- After decades of abandonment and betrayal, the tide
finally beginning to turn, albeit in a small way, for some of America's
strongest and most loyal allies during the Vietnam war.

The Hmong hill tribes of Southeast Asia fought covertly in the CIA's Special
Forces in Laos, on America's side, during the Vietnam war. But since the
war's end, they have paid dearly for their alliance with and allegiance to
the American ideals of political and religious freedom. The 250,000 Hmong
who survived the subsequent death camps, patrols, landmines and jungles of
Laos on their exodus from the nation when the war was lost, found refuge in
camps in Thailand. Others made it safely to the U.S., Australia, France and
England, where they were repatriated by America and her allies. In all, some
35 countries took in Hmong refugees.

Forced back to Laos at gunpoint by U.N. soldiers and Thai anti-riot police,
Hmong refugees begin their sad journey "home." These days, however, the
Hmong are being forced back to Laos at gunpoint by the United Nations and
Thai military at the behest of the U.S. State Department. The reasons are
complex, and involve mainly the Mekong Delta development program and the
leverage the IMF, World Bank, U.N. and U.S. State Department now hold over
Thailand in the wake of the 1997 Asian financial meltdown.

However, not all hope is lost. Thanks to a recent congressional bill,
H.R.371, ex-Hmong CIA Special Forces who fought for America will now have an
easier time gaining asylum in the United States. Passed overwhelmingly
without a single dissenting vote, H.R. 371 will waive the English language
requirement for potential Hmong refugees. Many Hmong have found learning
English to be extremely challenging as Hmong has had no written form until
the last few years.

The bill's main proponent is Rep. Bruce Vento, a Democrat from
Minnesota --which is home to 60,000 Hmong. A Senate version of the bill has
been introduced by Paul Wellstone, D-Minn, and John McCain, R-Ariz. Another
Minnesota politician, Gov. Jesse Ventura, a former Navy SEAL, has also
lobbied on behalf of the Hmong in Washington, D.C..

Philip Smith, Washington director of the Lao Veterans of America, which had
pushed for the bill, called Vento an inspiration."When we heard that he had
cancer, we were despondent as an organization," Smith said. "This was
something we could not win without his leadership."

But the group was emboldened when Vento, from his hospital bed, had his
staff call Smith to tell him he would continue to press for the bill. "He's
really our hero," Smith said.

According to Smith, there are roughly 70,000 Hmong and Lao veterans in the
United States, and about half are not citizens. Most are permanent residents
but are not eligible to vote or hold a passport.

"Back in the mid 1970s, liberals like Hillary Clinton were busy impeaching
President Nixon -- the man who fought the communist murderers in Cambodia
and Laos -- too busy to fight the enemies of America and God. Cambodia was
turned into a giant Auschwitz. And the Killing Fields there are common
knowledge.

..Col. Carl Bernard was the point man on the "White Star Mobile Training
Team" from the Army's Special Forces at Fort Bragg. This was the U.S. Army's
official operation to recruit and train the Hmong to fight on the American
side, against the communists in Laos. Having headed up that successful
effort, Bernard has lobbied on behalf of the Hmong ever since.

In recent months, Bernard has taken WorldNetDaily's series of reports on the
Hmong to Rep. Benjamin Gilman, R-N.Y., chairman of the International
Relations Committee. At a press conference and a congressional forum on the
plight of the Hmong and Lao veterans and their families in Laos and
Thailand, Bernard, along with noted author Jane Hamilton-Merritt, tried to
intercede on behalf of the Hmong. "We filled the hearing room," Bernard told
WorldNetDaily. "Congressman Gilma was the important figure, and despite
having no Hmong in his constituency, he learned the issues, packaged them
and sponsored the concept of paying our moral debt to these people. We did
the legwork he needed. The hearing put the issues into the public's
consciousness, and it become a reference point for all of us."

For Bernard, H.R. 371 is a step in the right direction. "Those who supported
this bill, like Congressman Vento, were noble and earned the lasting
gratitude of each of us," he said. Ask why he has remained loyal to the
Hmong he trained so long ago, Bernard is resolute. "My loyalty to the Hmong
stems from their having paid an impot du sang - the French term for "blood
tax" -- for us. Simply, they fought and many died for us. They are "blood
brothers" and cannot be abandoned..

**COPYRIGHT NOTICE** In accordance with Title 17 U. S. C. Section 107,

sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths,
misdirections
and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and
minor
effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said,
CTRL