From
http://www.iwpr.net/index.pl5?archive/bcr/bcr_20000523_2_eng.txt

}}>Begin

Kosovo Drug Threat
Albanian drug dealers and traffickers are flourishing in post-war Kosovo
By Imer Mushkolaj in Pristina (BCR No. 142, 23-May-00)

A group of Albanian youngsters sprawl over a sofa in one of Pristina's many
cafes. The teenagers, half-asleep, their eyes ringed by dark circles, are
victims of Kosovo's burgeoning drug culture.

A score of marijuana, the most popular drug in Kosovo, cost around ten German
marks. The distribution network is well-organised. Dozens of dealers - many of
them youths - supply hundreds of clients.

Ben is one such dealer. He makes at least ten sales a day, supplying marijuana
and hashish. "Nine months ago, when I started to deal, I only had a few
clients. Now I've got loads. Marijuana sells the best."

The drugs enter Kosovo by two routes, through Albania and Macedonia. Much of
the cannabis imported is consumed locally, whereas the more expensive drugs
like cocaine and heroin are shipped on to Albania en route to western Europe.
International narcotics experts believe the province's drug smugglers are
handling up to five tonnes of heroin a month, more than twice the quantity they
were trafficking before the war.

"It's coming through easier and cheaper - and there's much more of it," Marko
Nicovic, vice-president of the international enforcement officers association,
recently told the The Guardian newspaper.

"If this goes on we are predicting a heroin boom in western Europe on the same
scale as the one in the early 80s."

The Kosovo conflict forced Albanian drug traffickers to abandon the well-
established "Balkan route" - a smuggling channel from Afghanistan via Bulgaria,
Macedonia, Kosovo to western Europe.

But with the end of the conflict and the absence of robust law enforcement
agencies in Kosovo, the route is being revived, experts say.

In the immediate aftermath of the war, drugs began entering Kosovo from
Macedonia. Macedonian customs officers recently seized 465 kilos of cannabis on
the country's Albanian border.

At the same time, the porous border between Kosovo and Albania enabled
traffickers to ship drugs without much fear of capture.

Southern Albania is a major cannabis growing area, offering the impoverished
local community a much needed source of income. Once harvested, it is shipped
to the northeastern Albanian town of Kukes and then onto Prizren in Kosovo.

The reinforcement of KFOR patrols along the Kosovo-Albanian border has had some
impact on traffickers, forcing them to find alternative routes along that
frontier. One Kosovar dealer said he now uses secondary roads to transport
shipments, "though we now transport in smaller amounts," he conceded.
The dealer said he used to sell drugs in Germany, but returned to Kosovo last
year. He said he is now part of a well-organised network in Kosovo, which
operates under foreign control. "We work on instructions from our bosses
abroad, in Switzerland and Germany," he said.

The involvement of Albanian criminal gangs in drug trafficking is well-
documented. The Swiss media, in particular, has highlighted the number of
Albanians arrested in connection with drug offences there.

The international administration in Kosovo has so far preferred to set the
issue to one side.

UNMIK police sources said no-one was currently being held on drug-related
charges in Kosovo. The same source said the police were "carefully following
the situation" but he added, "we have more important matters to deal with."

The international administration's neglect of the drugs issue is creating ideal
conditions for the business to flourish. Burdened with a weak economy and
ramshackle law enforcement, the drugs mafia are finding the province an ideal
place to operate. Once such a culture is entrenched it will be very difficult
to uproot.

Imer Mushkollaj is editor-in-chief of the Kosovo Albanian daily "Epoka e re"

End<{{

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Integrity has no need of rules. -Albert Camus (1913-1960)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said
it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your
own reason and your common sense." --Buddha
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers." Universal Declaration of Human Rights
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut." Ernest Hemingway
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.

sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths,
misdirections
and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and
minor
effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said,
CTRL