---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 11:16:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: Franklin Wayne Poley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [BCPolitics] re "Light Unto The Nations" Contested...

....or "Who has the mandate of heaven?"
FWP

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 09:42:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: Franklin Wayne Poley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [LIFE-GAZETTE] Wang's Words of Wisdom

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 12:27:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: Franklin Wayne Poley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [Chineseproverbs] "Mandate of Heaven"

Does anyone know the origin of the above Chinese saying?
FWP

[Moderator's note: Hello - it is an interesting question in Confucianism, so though it
is not a proverb, per se, I'd like to offer a quick note. 'Tianming' is the Chinese,
and it plays an important role in government in ancient China. Essentially 'Heaven'
bestows its authority on a human being (a 'tianzi' or 'wang' or 'jun') to rule the
empire, and instigates changes in rulers when the former ceases to upholding his
reverence for, and virtues of, his forefathers; the mandate implies acting humanely
towards the ruled peoples, and reducing their overall hardships.

If you would like to discuss this further, I would suggest subscribing to my Confucius
list. Just send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and in the body of the
message write subscribe confucius
--Todd]

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://click.egroups.com/1/5533/2/_/564407/_/961433149/

What would a complete society be like if it were to "do all for the glory of God"? (I
Corinthians 10:31). What would Canada be like if it were a "Godly Society" functioning
in this manner?

Lonely? Get Firetalk!
Free, unlimited calls anywhere in the world.
Free voice chat on hundreds of topics.
http://click.egroups.com/1/5477/3/_/103697/_/961438658/