from:
http://www.aci.net/kalliste/
Click Here: <A HREF="http://www.aci.net/kalliste/">The Home Page of J. Orlin
Grabbe</A>
-----

The Cult of the Child

Revolt Against the Baby Fascists

Breed or die, you otherwise worthless scum.

The child-free are feeling ripped off by 'family-friendly' policies. Adele
Horin explores the backlash, and how justified it is.

The woman's outburst shocked her colleagues. "I am sick of this bloody
'family-friendly' stuff," she said. "I'm single, I've got a disability. I'm
travelling back and forth from Sydney to Melbourne to do my job. But because
I don't have children, I'm given no special consideration."

The high-powered women executives gathered round the table were stunned into
silence. Afterwards someone said, "Wow, wasn't she angry?"

And according to Rohan Squirchuk, managing director of the Council for Equal
Opportunity in Employment, who attended that meeting, her colleague had every
right to be resentful.

Single and childless people have elderly parents, dogs and cats, disabilities
and hobbies, and a life outside the office. "But they're expected to hit the
road," says Squirchuk. "There is an underlying resentment that [childless]
people are scared to articulate. It isn't kosher to say, 'She's got paid
maternity leave but I don't get anything for looking after my old parents.'"

Are family-friendly workplaces cheating the childless? In the United States,
a book called Baby Boon, by Elinor Burkett (The Free Press), has created a
storm for its polemical attack on family-friendly workplaces that subsidise
child care but not gym membership, grant employees leave to have a baby but
not to write a book.

"... history cannot look kindly on a nation that can protect its parents and
children only by demeaning its childless citizens," Burkett writes, "by
creating one set of rules for those who breed and a different set for those
who do not."

Across the Atlantic, the cudgels against family-friendly policies have been
taken up by the London Daily Telegraph's associate editor, Alice Thomson, in
a recent piece for The Spectator called, "The baby fascists". Attacking the
Blair Government's policy of 18 weeks' paid maternity leave, and three
months' unpaid leave for fathers, Thomson writes: "The real divide that has
been created in the last three years [is] not North or South, town or
country, gay or straight, but between the allegedly altruistic parent and the
selfish singleton."

Singletons, she continued, are "sick of pushy parents marching to the front
of the queue, the frightening moral righteousness of the exhausted mum. Why
should they subsidise squealing infants to go half-price on planes?"

If Australia's single and childless workers harbour similar angry thoughts
they are usually too polite to disclose them. Employers, union leaders and
human resource managers are hard-pressed to recall occasions when childless
workers have vented their spleen over family-friendly perks. That was why
Squirchuk's encounter with her colleague's full-blown fury stood out in her
mind.

But scratch the surface of a single's politeness and complaints bubble up.
"I've been rostered on five Christmas Days in a row," a colleague said. "I'm
treated as if I don't have a family just because I don't have children."

A woman with a dying mother in Melbourne wondered aloud why her firm, a large
consulting company which provides three months' paid maternity leave, cannot
extend a similar benefit to her. Instead her bosses have resented her
occasional early departures for the airport.

The mother who exits the office at five and avoids the Christmas Day roster
is a source of irritation in some offices, as are parents who get priority
for holidays in December and January, bring sick children into the office, or
take the morning off for the school athletics carnival.

"Quite a few people in quite a few organisations noted the resentment of
their peers," says Dr Gillian Whitehouse, of the University of Queensland,
who has carried out detailed case studies of organisations with
family-friendly policies. "Burned in the minds of working parents were
comments like, 'I can't take time off for my sick cat.'" But it would be
wrong to overstate the resentment. "Mildly pissed off," is how Ed Davis,
professor of management at Macquarie University, characterises the response.

Australia's childless, it appears, have little cause to feel cheated.
Australian workplaces are far from beacons of family friendliness. Parliament
House in Canberra, the most notorious example, has a swimming pool but no
child-care centre.

And many women, it seems, believe they have no special rights as working
parents and make no demands. The Human Rights and Equal Opportunity
Commission's 1999 inquiry into pregnancy discrimination, for example, found
an unfortunate acceptance among women "that pregnancy is a personal choice
and you can't have your cake and eat it, too".

The enterprises that win awards for family friendliness are high profile but
atypical. Only 4 per cent of enterprise agreements have provisions for job
sharing, for example; only 3 per cent have work-from-home provisions,
according to the Australian Centre for Industrial Relations Research and
Training at the University of NSW.

Paid maternity leave, a measure of genuine family friendliness, featured in
only 6.4 per cent of enterprise agreements, and some of those paid for just
one week's leave.

As well, in a workplace climate of "lean and long", workers often feel
reluctant to avail themselves of the family-friendly policies on offer. "Who
feels free to use them?" asks Ilene Wolcott, co-author of Work and Family
Life (The Australian Institute of Family Studies).

A survey of 750 solicitors in 1998 by Sandra Triulzi, of Acumen Alliance, for
example, found a "huge reluctance" to use flexible policies. In a climate of
mergers and acquisitions, the Y2K fear and the GST, "solicitors were working
harder and longer, including solicitors with children", she says.

Australian women have reacted to the dearth of family-friendly policies by
bowing out of full-time work. Most mothers work as casuals or, if they are
fortunate, in permanent part-time positions. The decision has cost them
money, training opportunities and promotion. To what extent it is a choice,
or simply a response to what is available, is debatable. Employers' heavy use
of casuals has obviated the need for them to provide genuinely
family-friendly policies for full-time workers.

"Even a family-friendly company expects a huge commitment to the organisation
and long hours," says Whitehouse. "Companies are not making big concessions."

Australia's leading "family-friendly" companies, however, have become aware
of the singles' backlash in the US and taken pre-emptive action.

In the past two or three years, this vanguard has broadened family-friendly
initiatives to cover single and childless people. Even the name "family
friendly" has been ditched in favour of "work-life" programs.

In these companies, people can get leave to take their cat to the vet in work
time, or their mum to the hospital. They can get time off to train for the
Olympics or the tenpin bowling championship, or to study.

Enterprises as diverse as Australia Post, Hewlett-Packard, and Blake Dawson
Waldron, a leading legal firm, have joined the work-life movement. As well,
one of Australia's leading workplace consultancies changed its name this year
from Managing Work and Family to Managing Work/Life Balance.

"I got in before any backlash," says Barbara Holmes, the managing director.
"I saw what was happening in the US." Australia Post last year extended some
of its family-friendly initiatives to all staff in a bid to appear more
equitable. For example, since 1994 staff have been able to take a few hours
off on a "make-up later" basis to attend to family duties (including caring
for parents). But now staff can take this short-term leave for any reason,
providing their manager agrees.
"You don't want an organisation to be making value judgments about a
worthwhile way of living," says Claire McCuskey, Australia Post's human
resource consultant. "You don't want to be saying, 'Your dog's not as
important as Fred's son.' "

Benefits such as "48/52" - 48 weeks' pay spread over a 52-week year to
provide eight weeks' annual leave (including four weeks' unpaid leave) -
part-time work, and three-year employment breaks, are available equally to
all staff. Also, all staff can borrow five days of the next year's recreation
leave - though two of them still must be used for family reasons.

At Blake Dawson Waldron, parents led the push for more flexible work
practices. But now the benefits have flowed to other workers. The Olympic
swimmer Chris Fydler has worked as a part-time lawyer in a way that has
fitted with his training. Paul Mallam, a partner, works four days to pursue
his interest in painting on the fifth. And triathlon and karate enthusiasts
have had flexible arrangements to pursue their sports.

Not all the firm's 180 partners are equally willing or able to give their
teams access to the flexible conditions, but the momentum is gaining.

"Staff can elect to work from home for a certain number of hours and the firm
supports that with a fax, printer, second phone line and laptop," says Lisa
Chung, a partner in the firm. "It doesn't matter to me why a worker wants
that flexibility."

In some fields it is now considered impolite to ask valued employees why they
want time off. "There's always been flexibility in the IT industry," says
Hewlett-Packard's e-services manager, Katie Spearritt. "It's critical to our
culture. In fact I'm working from home now, and I don't have children."

If anything, a backlash to work-life policies may be in its infancy as some
critics bravely assert that Fred's son is more important than Fran's dog.

Don Edgar, an associate professor at the Centre for Workplace Culture Change
at the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology, argues that the work-family
policy debate has been hijacked by the work-life brigade.

"... in recent years, we have seen the notion of a balanced lifestyle, the
right to a life outside work, and 'all work and no play makes Jack a dull
boy' take precedence over a focused approach to the discrimination against
workers [with] family responsibilities ..." he wrote last year in Flinders
University's Australian Bulletin of Labour.

"Definitions of 'family' have been stretched to include a pet dog, a group of
friends and the local football club ... While there is nothing wrong with a
demand for greater flexibility and encouragement of outside interests on the
part of supervisors ... there is no inevitability about the obligations taken
on. A child cannot be ignored; a parent with Alzheimer's cannot be left alone
... In contrast, playing a game of golf or two may be good for one's morale,
but it is not an obligation as such."

Edgar says that some feminist managers specifically refused to have
work-family policies discussed because "many people don't have families".

But he argued it is unlikely structural discrimination will ever be based on
the existence of pets, groups of friends or the need to get some exercise.

"You must have clear regulations governing the relationship between work and
family," he says. "The well-being of children is of absolute importance. But
who gives a damn if the cat is not fed on time?"

For all the childless workers who resent parents leaving at 5.30pm for the
child-care centre, there are others like Aaron Magner, an industrial officer
with the Liquor Hospitality and Miscellaneous Workers' Union.

"I don't resent parents leaving to pick up the kids; it's not as if they're
going to the gym," he says. " It's our civic duty to ensure the next
generation of children gets the greatest amount of care."

And Blake Dawson Waldron's Chung, a mother of two, says her childless
colleagues know how hard the juggling act is for parents.

"They don't see it as the easy option," she says. "And some of them know,
'that could be me one day'."

Squirchuk, reflecting on her single colleague's angry outburst, believes it
should be employers in the firing line, not working mothers. It is the
culture of long hours, not family-friendly policies, that breeds division in
the workplace.

"We all have needs," she says. "But employers have slashed and burned and got
fewer and fewer people to do more and more work. That's the issue that needs
attention."
Sidney Morning Herald, June 24, 2000
-----
Aloha, He'Ping,