http://www.worldnetdaily.com/bluesky_sperry_news/20000802_xnspy_lindsay_ou.s
html

Wednesday, August 2, 2000

ALL THE PRESIDENT'S SCANDALS

Lindsay 'out-and-out lied' about Project X

Clinton appointee testifies lawyer ordered her not to keep a
record of e-mail crisis

by Paul Sperry

WASHINGTON -- Don't talk about it. Don't take any notes. Don't
keep any documents.

Those were the instructions the former head of White House
computer operations says she got from a top Clinton aide
regarding the Project X e-mail scandal.

In a June 1998 meeting, Kathleen Gallant says then-White House
lawyer Mark F. Lindsay warned her the discovery of a large gap in
West Wing e-mail records under subpoena was so "sensitive" that
"we could keep no notes about it."

In her first public testimony, Gallant also said Lindsay denied
in a later meeting ever making the comments.

"That was an out-and-out lie," Gallant, a Clinton appointee, said
yesterday in a federal court hearing about the missing e-mails.
"I didn't trust Mark from that point forward."

Her statements cast further doubt on Lindsay's own testimony.

Asked under oath in a March 23 congressional hearing if he
"attempted to cover up the problem," Lindsay replied "absolutely
not."

In the same 1998 meeting, which included Lindsay confidant Laura
Crabtree Callahan, Gallant says she first heard of the e-mail
archiving problem referred to as Project X.

"They told me they were calling it Project X," she said, to help
keep things secret.

But Lindsay told Congress another story in a May 4 hearing.

Rep. Chris Shays, R-Conn.: "Didn't they call it Project X?"

Lindsay: "I never called it Project X."

Shays: "Did you ever hear it referred to as Project X?"

Lindsay: "I heard about it here when I heard the testimony of
some of the Northrop Grumman employees."

Several Northrop Grumman computer contractors have testified
Lindsay also ordered them in other June 1998 meetings to keep the
missing e-mails secret. Three swear he and Callahan both
threatened them.

Lindsay and Callahan deny it. Gallant backs the contractors'
version.

She says she sat down with five of the contractors shortly after
she met with Lindsay. "They were all very nervous about talking
to me," she said.

After some prodding, some of them confided that Lindsay and
Callahan had threatened them to keep mum about the e-mail
problem.

They said they were told it was a "classified matter," and that
they'd be jailed if they told even their spouses, Gallant
recalled.

Gallant brings to six the number of witnesses who either say they
were personally threatened or heard about the threats at the
time.

Lindsay, along with Callahan, swore March 23 they never made the
threats.

Rep. Henry Waxman, D-Calif.: "Did you threaten any of these
employees?"

Lindsay: "Absolutely not. I didn't, and I'm not aware of any
threats being made by any government employee to any Northrop
Grumman employees."

Lindsay also claimed not to remember his June 15, 1998, meeting
with the contractors.

"I'll be perfectly honest," he testified, "I don't have a
recollection of having specific conversations with them."

He added that he never dealt with the contractors directly
because the "contractors did not report to me. They all went to
the technical staff," such as Gallant.

So by Lindsay's own account, the June 15 meeting with the
contractors -- which even Callahan recalls -- would have been
rare. And memorable.

Also, Gallant testified she tried to quickly stop the
e-mail-records bleeding.

But no funds were available for several months, causing still
more e-mails to go hidden from investigators. The main archiving
"glitch" wasn't fixed until November 1998.

She also tried in vain to restore and search the unarchived
e-mail from emergency back-up tapes.

But again, she couldn't get funding or the attention from
higher-ups like Lindsay. Memos from Gallant reflect her
frustration over the foot-dragging.

The trove of potential evidence still sits on 3,400 tapes stored
in a White House basement. A federal judge hearing a Judicial
Watch lawsuit against the White House is weighing how to retrieve
the data.

"I was told on a weekly basis that Mark was on top of it," she
said. "I didn't understand the delays."

Gallant says she had several run-ins with Lindsay in 1998.
Finally, after one heated exchange in September 1998 -- during
which Gallant told Lindsay "to go to hell" -- she quit.

Gallant left the White House Oct. 12, 1998.

Lindsay, on the other hand, was put on the White House fast track
after the e-mail debacle.

He went from Office of Administration's general counsel and chief
of staff to OA director to his current senior position as
assistant to the president for all White House management and
administration.

Related stories:

Congress told of Project X in 1998

Mark Lindsay knew Project X's 'scope'

Obstruction hearings ordered by Lamberth

E-mail expert brunt of jokes

Judge: White House withheld information

White House defies judge in e-mail case

Contractor searching for e-mail is green

More Project X intimidation?

White House tightens grip on e-mail project

'They lied to the judge'

White House now uncertain when e-mail ready

Another tech 'error' scrubs Gore e-mail

Hillary must turn over e-mail

Despite claims, Hillary e-mailed via staff

Clinton's mystery e-mail

New cover-up: 'Project PBX'

Subpoena sparks burning question

Did House panel fry good guy?

Document backs cover-up charge

Are e-mail tapes safe?

Smoking gun in the e-mail?

Inside job on e-mail

'The fix is in' on e-mail fix?

Firm won't take hit for Project X fiasco

             Kadosh, Kadosh, Kadosh, YHVH, TZEVAOT

  FROM THE DESK OF:                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                      *Mike Spitzer*     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                         ~~~~~~~~          <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

       Shalom, A Salaam Aleikum, and to all, A Good Day.