Bush team claims tax plan support

By Gerard Baker in Philadelphia (Financial Times)
Published: August 1 2000 20:50GMT | Last Updated: August 1 2000 23:58GMT

http://news.ft.com/ft/gx.cgi/ftc?pagename=View&c=Article&cid=FT3XNQP0EBC&liv
e=true&tagid=IXL5PIPSW8C

Alan Greenspan, the Federal Reserve chairman, will support plans
by George W. Bush for a substantial tax cut if the Republican
presidential candidate is elected, according to Mr Bush's top
economic adviser.

Lawrence Lindsey, widely tipped for a senior job in a Bush
administration, played down recent indications from Mr Greenspan
that he would prefer to see the large fiscal surpluses projected
over the next 10 years used to pay down public debt rather than
for hefty tax cuts.

"I have read every word Greenspan has said. I talk to him on a
regular basis. I am very confident that he is comfortable with
what we are proposing. I would not recommend it if I did not
think that was the case," said Mr Lindsey, a former Fed governor,
in an interview on the fringes of the Republican National
Convention. Mr Lindsey said that - even after the $1,300bn tax
cut over 10 years proposed by Mr Bush - there would still be
funds available each year to pay down the national debt. "The
unified budget surplus increases every year even with the tax
cut."

Mr Lindsey's remarks seem designed to neutralise concerns that
the Fed chairman is not enthusiastic about the Texas governor's
plans. Mr Greenspan has often said the first priority of fiscal
policy in an era of surpluses should be debt repayment.

On Tuesday a central bank spokesman said: "The chairman has
indicated in testimony to Congress in recent years that his first
preference is for high or rising surpluses.

"The chairman also has said if growing surpluses become
politically infeasible to defend, he would prefer that they be
allocated to tax cuts rather than to spending initiatives."

The latest estimates from the Congressional Budget Office suggest
the total fiscal surplus over the next decade will reach more
than $4,600bn. Al Gore, the Democratic nominee for president,
proposes using more of the surplus for debt reduction.

Mr Greenspan has also urged caution in cutting taxes at a time
when the economy is expanding at substantially above trend rates
of growth. But Mr Lindsey said concerns that the Bush tax cut
would fuel an already overheating economy were misplaced.

"I agree that the economy does not need a tax cut now, but we are
proposing a tax cut to begin in January 2002, which will be
around a third of one per cent of GDP," he said.

Mr Lindsey also criticised the Clinton administration's antitrust
case against Microsoft. Though he emphasised he was not speaking
for Mr Bush on the issue, he signalled clearly his doubts about
the wisdom of the government's case and the judgment that the
company be split into two.

"I am quite sceptical of the very broad extension of antitrust
policy under this administration," he said. "It is the first
major antitrust case in history where the quote 'trust' is not
trust. There was no prior combination of firms to increase market
share. It is a de novo enterprise that established its dominant
market position in a market niche it created."

Mr Lindsey also said that European governments' behaviour in a
number of trade disputes with the US, especially over "open
skies" aviation negotiations, was unacceptable.

"Since Europe is in many ways acting outrageously, it may be
necessary for us to behave outrageously so we can negotiate away
our outrageous behaviours."

             Kadosh, Kadosh, Kadosh, YHVH, TZEVAOT

  FROM THE DESK OF:                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                      *Mike Spitzer*     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                         ~~~~~~~~          <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

       Shalom, A Salaam Aleikum, and to all, A Good Day.