LOOKS LIKE 'HIT WOMAN' HAS A NEW CONTRACT

                By STEVE DUNLEAVY
                NY POST

                PHILADELPHIA - THOMAS A. Rodick, a federal
                statistician, is the kind of guy who if you asked him the
                time he would tell you how to make a Swiss watch.

                He admits his life is numbers and for that I respect him -
                and also feel a little sorrow.

                But this unheralded computer nerd is going to cause the
                biggest case of agita for Hillary Rodham Clinton since
                she forgot the address to Yankee Stadium.

                "It is an outrage to all New Yorkers," Gov. Pataki was
                telling me yesterday.

                And what is the outrage? Simply, the Clintonistas try to
                bulldoze a 30-year veteran statistician into making
                Pataki's job-growth rate look bad in upstate New York
                and also put a faint torpedo into the booming Lazio
                juggernaut.

                Put simply, this looks like another attempted smear job
                by Hillary the Hit Woman.

                We know if you cross the Clintons you get tax audits,
                you get put in jail or - in the case of White House Travel
                Office target Billy Ray Dale - a life destroyed forever.

                But I think Hillary will have to use both sides of her
                mouth to talk her way out of this one:

                * Last month, Pataki announced that the job-growth rate
                in upstate New York was 2.9 percent in the private
                sector - while the nation's was only 2.3 percent.

                * Hillary, angry about that growth showing a Republican
                success, unleashes her dogs of war. This privileged girl
                from Illinois who went to live in a gorgeous mansion in
                Arkansas and a whiter house wants to tell us New
                Yorkers it's all baloney.

                * Last Thursday, my boring computer nerd says, Dennis
                McSweeny, regional commissioner of the federal
                Bureau of Labor Statistics, told him to take a hard look
                at the numbers because they have to be wrong.

                * When Thomas A. Rodick asked why, he says that
                McSweeny told him "this is an election cycle, which
                offended me. I told him I was on a data cycle not an
                election cycle and he would get any revision on Sept. 16,
                the way it has been for 30 years."

                * Suddenly, the federal Bureau of Labor Statistics is
                starting an investigation into Pataki's good numbers.

                * Rodick had this to say: "I find this investigation
                offensive and shocking ... I'm also offended at the
                federal Bureau of Labor Statistics through political
                maneuvering, is calling into question the integrity of my
                staff."

                I called McSweeny. I was told he is on leave. I called
                his supervisor, Patricia Getz, who is the division director
                of current employment statistics.

                I asked her, basically, whether she is auditing the Pataki
                numbers on job growth. Why? And why now?

                I asked Getz, who has been with the bureau for 23
                years, did you do the same thing last year? In fact, have
                you audited New York's numbers in all of your 23 years.

                "No," Getz said. "But we had complaints. But not really
                complaints, but inquiries about the basis of the growth
                employment."

                How many complaints?

                "Er, perhaps a half a dozen," she said.

                Do you have a record of those complaints?

                "No."

                When was the last time you investigated New York
                state on labor statistics?

                "No, there is nothing political in this," Getz said. "No, we
                didn't investigate this last year or the year before or the
                year before that in regards to New York state."

                Pataki was clearly annoyed.

                "This is a flagrant abuse of government power," he said.
                "No administration has ever done this, ever.

                "The Clinton administration is using the campaign to
                frighten people in our state. It is just shocking. Suddenly
                they are doing this for the first time in 30 years."

                Have they no shame? No.

                So why don't they keep their shame in Arkansas or
                Washington - and far from a state that does not need
                Hillary the Hit Woman?

             Kadosh, Kadosh, Kadosh, YHVH, TZEVAOT

  FROM THE DESK OF:                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                      *Mike Spitzer*     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                         ~~~~~~~~          <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

       Shalom, A Salaam Aleikum, and to all, A Good Day.