With Carl Limbacher and NewsMax.com Staff

Wednesday August 2, 2000; 7:45 AM EDT

Lazio Not Sure Slur-gate Hurt Hillary

Long Island Congressman Rick Lazio said Tuesday that he's not
sure whether reports that Hillary Clinton used anti-Semitic slurs
during her days in Arkansas have anything to do with the stunning
new lead he's opened up over the first lady in the latest Zogby
poll.

"I can't really say.  I don't know," the rising GOP star told
NewsMax.com when asked why the bottom has suddenly dropped out of
Mrs. Clinton's Jewish support in New York.

"All I know is that we had two good appearances this weekend in
front of synagogues, one Reform, one sort of eclectic, out on the
east end of Long Island.  And our reception at both was very,
very good," Lazio said while leaving a Republican Party
Convention press conference on Tuesday.  "So I think people
respond to a mainstream record," he added.

Maybe.  But it's hard not to connect Lazio's sudden surge to 49.6
percent support among New Yorkers overall to the Slur-gate story
-- the only development that could have driven up Hillary's
negatives with Jewish New Yorkers since the last round of
polling.

The first lady, who now trails her Republican opponent by seven
points, saw her support with Jews suffer a precipitous twelve
point decline to less than 50 percent in the wake of the slur
reports.

Unless she improves that number by at least 15 points, experts
say her chances of becoming New York's next U.S.  Senator are
slim.

NewsMax.com broke the Slur-gate story last September, when former
Clinton bodyguard Larry Patterson alleged that epithets such as
"Jew bastard" were "quite common" in the Clinton household.

Patterson's account was substantited last month by former
campaign worker Paul Fray and two other witnesses, who told
reporters Mrs. Clinton hurled the exact same epithet during an
argument after her husband's first election defeat in 1974.

             Kadosh, Kadosh, Kadosh, YHVH, TZEVAOT

  FROM THE DESK OF:                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                      *Mike Spitzer*     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                         ~~~~~~~~          <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

       Shalom, A Salaam Aleikum, and to all, A Good Day.