[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
HI Mike,
    I have a question. Weren't the first plane loads of cocaine into the US
flown in the late 70s? Like 78, 79? <snip>
    Thanks,
    Peace,
    Preston
Preston,

Old money and wooden ships are the place to start.

Cocaine use did lag the Haight-Ashbury era LSD and marijuana
boom, due to high price of the powder form, but there was plenty
of it around in 1970 for rich kids and musicians and single people
with professional incomes.

It seemed that an aspiring rock group's manager was apt to be
a Jewish guy with Lansky cocaine connections for an ounce of
powder anytime, cost comparable to $2000 in today's money.
Drugs and other fringe benefits and expenses are one way to
mortgage future earnings from musicians, similar to drugs/guns
exchanges in the cultivation of third-world police states. That
could imply that successful musicians are to art what fascist
puppets are to political science and government.

A NYC coke dealer told me drugs were coming in on ships.
That was about 1974. In 1976 or 1977 I met people who
confirmed the NYC sea route and in much more detail that
a Miami connection was available through the Port Authority.
About 1976 I knew someone who had an Air Force pilot friend
who was flying cocaine to South Carolina. In 1976 I had a friend
who was on probation and said that the criminals and cops are
the same people. He had carried cocaine through the Darien Gap
on foot. He said he wouldn't do it again because the same people
who sold it in Colombia were taking DEA bounties for turning
unconnected individuals in. He had bought a golf-ball sized
brown rock resembling crack in 1975.

-Bob

--

druggingamerica.com