Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 05:58:05 CDT
   From: "Alberto M. Giordano" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Exiled Colombian Journo Speaks on Narco News

A Conversation in Exile:

http://www.narconews.com/exiled.html

Exiled Colombian Journalist Alfredo Molano Speaks with Narco News and says:

Washington's Plan Colombia will not slow the illegal drug trade.
But Plan Colombia will

spread the cocaine crop to Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Brazil and to Northern
Colombia

increase the narco-power of violent paramilitary squads and their impunity
to commit human rights atrocities (and to threaten journalists)

displace Colombian peasants with the motive of constructing a new
Atlantic-Pacific canal within Colombia

cause grave environmental harm to the Amazon jungle

AUGUST 7, 2000; BARCELONA: Colombian journalist Alfredo Molano and his
family received death threats from US-backed military and paramilitary
forces because he criticized them in his Sunday newspaper column in the
daily El Espectador of Bogota. Today the Molano family lives in exile, in
Europe, in the Catalonian city of Barcelona.

Molano, a leading expert on agriculture and the substitution of coca crops,
granted an interview to The Narco News Bulletin in his apartment in a
traditional fisherman's neighborhood of Barcelona on July 31, 2000. The
interview with publisher Al Giordano was conducted in Spanish and translated
to English for this report. Narco News also offered some of our own analysis
about why certain conservative-libertarian sectors of the US drug policy
reform movement don't want to listen to what their natural allies in Latin
Amirica are saying about the drug war, and the greater Amirica's important
contribution of developing a legalization argument from the Left.

Here, Molano speaks on the imminent danger to his country posed by the $1.3
billion "Plan Colombia" military aid package from Washington. He cites the
importance of Europe's refusal to participate and affirms, "The best way to
fight against drug trafficking is to legalize it." He also explains why the
Latin American Left increasingly embraces the legalization cause.

Full Interview Text At:
http://www.narconews.com/exiled.html

salud y abrazo,

Al Giordano
Publisher
The Narco News Bulletin
http://www.narconews.com/
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox
Claudia White~Main Line News~Human & Civil Rights Campaign Internationale' Free Mumia
Abu Jamal~Free All Political Prisoners~End the Drug War!Stop the US Bombing of Vieques
& Global Genocide of Indigenous Peoples. Web Read complete archives@
http://www.angelfire.com/ut/Angel1
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo
Pray for the Dine'h and traditional Hopi at Big Mountain, AZ, USA.
http://members.xoom.com/senaa/HomePage.html
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

FREE SHIPPING OR FREE SUNGLASSES at wonderfulbuys.com!  We're giving
free shipping on all our great buys plus get free sunglasses.  Also,
register to win a Total Gym 3000 ($1000.00 retail value).  Click now,
limited time offer.

http://www.bcentral.com/listbot/wonderfulbuys

*** NOTICE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is
distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving
the included information for research and educational purposes. Feel free to
distribute widely but PLEASE acknowledge the source. ***
The end is in the means as the tree is in the seed.
- Mahatma Ghandi
Abraham Lincoln, letter to Wm. F. Elkins  Nov. 21 1864
Arthur Shaw ed.  The Lincoln Encyclopedia  40  {1950}

"We may congratulate ourselves that this cruel war is nearing
it's end.  It has cost a vast amount of treasure and
blood.........It has indeed been a trying hour for the
Republic, but I see in the near future a crisis approaching
that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety
of my country.  As a result of the war, corporations have been
enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will
follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to
prolong it's reign by working on the prejudices of the
people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the
Republic is destroyed.  I feel at this moment more anxiety
for the safety of my country than ever before, even in the
midst of war."
http://www.angelfire.com/mi/smilinks/thirdeye.html