The Early Days of the John Birch Society:
Fascist Templars of the Corporate State
Part 4

By Alex Constantine

Hey, Hey, JFK ‹
How Many Birchers Gunned You Down Today?

       Guy Bannister, a Birch Society pamphleteer (High Times, September,
1991), was Lee Harvey Oswald's "handler" at 544 Camp Street. Bannister
employed an investigator, Jack S. Martin, a co-conspirator with his boss and
Charles Willoughby-Weidenbach, the man who arranged the bombing of Pearl
Harbor (according to Charles Higham, the best-selling biographer in the
country, in American Swastika), went on to an assignment as General
MacArthur's intelligence chief in Korea, and YAF official (with William F.
Buckley of the CIA) at Birch Society behest, in the Kennedy assassination,
say Mae Brussell, Dick Russell and others. Bannister was a drunkard, a
former FBI agent and Naval Intelligence officer. He published a racist
newsletter. He choreographed the activities of a group of anti-Castro Cubans
in New Orleans. He died nine months after the murder of John Kennedy.
     Jim Garrison investigated Oswald's connection to Bannister and CIA
pilot David Ferrie. The devout, alcoholic anti-communist had Oswald passing
out Fair Play for Cuba flyers on street corners.
     What, I wonder, would Bannister and his fellow Birchers say if they
could speak openly, without the Jeffersonian platitudes and shaggy-dog
tales? In a privately published paper about Charles Willoughby-Weidenbach
("Looking for 'Hate' in all the 'Right' Places"), political researcher
William Morris McLoughlin can't resist speaking for them:
     "We have been sitting on our hands and 'gnawing the rug' since 1945,
when, as far as we are concerned, World War III actually began, with the
murder of our hero, John Birch in manchuria, China"
     The war has been waged "entirely by members of various national and
international right-wing, militantly extremist groups still united under the
auspices and control of the World Anti-Communist League. Its U.S. affiliates
include the U.S. Council for World Freedom and the American Security
Council, part of the Liberty Lobby, as well as other organizations,"
including the Birch Society .
     The JBS waged its grass-roots, even populist approach to the war with
much scape-goating. In The Radical Right (Random House, 1967), Epstein and
Arnold offer that at the 1965 convention of the Christian Crusade, another
fascist front, General Walker, "in speaking of the man who killed Lee Harvey
Oswald, President Kennedy's assassin, urged his listeners not to forget that
Ruby's name was Rubenstein, and they can't change that fact no matter how
often they refer to him as Ruby."
     Overall, Generalissimo Robert Welch tried to keep the race question out
of the discussion. He insisted alsways that the enemy was the left, not the
Jews. Nevertheless, there was no holding back the anti-semitism that many
JBS members, cryptically or not, felt the need to convey. There was, for
instance, Florida Bircher Bernard "Ben" Klassen, author of The White Man's
Bible. And William Pierce, author of The Turner Diaries, cut his ideological
teeth as a dues-paying member of the John Birch Society. Pierce left the
Birch Society to shift the thrust of his "research" to the "international
Jewish conspiracy," the very source, he maintained, of communism, the true
Insiders behind the Insiders. (Pierce, "Enemies on the Right," National
Vanguard Magazine, August 1996).
     Pierce:
     "One thing I am grateful to the Birch Society for is that it directed
me to a number of books on Communism, and from those books I learned enough
about the nature and background of Communism that I knew I wanted to learn
much more. That was really the beginning of my education: the start of my
quest for understanding about history, race, politics, and, in fact, nearly
everything except the physics and mathematics to which I had devoted myself
until that time. The half-dozen or so other members of the chapter seemed to
be decent enough, if not very stimulating, fellows. The term that best
characterizes them is 'middle class.' They were pretty much the sort one can
meet in any American Legion hall, except they were a little more
intense‹especially when talking about the Communist Conspiracy, which was
practically the only thing they talked about."

End of Part 4