On Tue, 15 Aug 2000 12:34:31 -0400, Kelly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted
article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, which said:

> Oh yes - it is grown in Canada in farmers' fields, in forests, in
> backyards and in homes.  I didn't hear this military story.  Ty, could
> you provide a source for your story?  Thanks.

Here you go...  Also have a look at another story I just posted about
the six kids who were killed in Columbia.

Newshawk: Carey Ker
Pubdate: Tue, 15 Aug 2000
Source: National Post (Canada)
Copyright: 2000 Southam Inc.
Contact: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Address: 300 - 1450 Don Mills Road, Don Mills, Ontario M3B 3R5
Fax: (416) 442-2209
Feedback: http://www.nationalpost.com/commentary.asp?s2=letters
Website: http://www.nationalpost.com/
Forum: http://forums.canada.com/~nationalpost
Section: Page A1
Author: Peter Morton

FIVE ACCUSED OF USING ARMY TRUCKS TO SMUGGLE POT

WASHINGTON - Five Canadians, including a military reservist, have been
charged with drug smuggling after two Canadian military vehicles were
employed to ship more than US$1-million of "B.C. Bud" marijuana across
the U.S. border.

Authorities in both countries said it would be the first time a Canadian
military vehicle has been used to bring large amounts of drugs into the
United States.

"This is a new one for us," said Captain Bob Lanouette, a spokesman for
the Canadian Armed Forces National Investigative Services.

He called the incident "extremely disturbing" and said Sergeant Sten
Sture Strom, a member of the reserves from a base in Richmond, B.C.,
will likely face criminal charges in Canada.

The five, along with two Americans, were arraigned in a Seattle court
yesterday after a drug-sniffing dog found 240 pounds of high-potency
marijuana in five duffel bags hidden in one of the Canadian military
vehicles trying to cross the border at Blaine, Wash.

The marijuana sells for as much as US$5,000 a pound on the American
market.

American customs officials became suspicious of the two military
vehicles on Aug. 12 when they arrived at the busy border crossing in the
early evening, claiming to want to pick up a broken-down Canadian
military truck in nearby Ferndale, Wash.

Canada and the United States routinely have joint military exercises in
the region, especially in the winter, but one American official said the
border agents on both sides are always notified in advance.

In this case, the Americans were not told Canadian military vehicles
would be crossing that night.

In an affidavit filed in a Seattle court, United States drug agents said
Sgt.  Strom drove the first vehicle, a military tow truck, while the
second vehicle, described as a military utility truck, was driven by
Brent Sheldon Rusnak, a Canadian civilian dressed in a military uniform
with someone else's name tag.

After the two were arrested, United States drug enforcement agents said
in court filings yesterday, Sgt.  Strom agreed to co-operate and told
the agents about a pre-arranged pick-up point in a shopping mall in
Blaine where he was to be paid US$16,000 to deliver the marijuana.

Two agents, wearing the Canadian Army uniforms, are alleged to have
driven the Canadian military vehicles to the mall, where Robert Ralph
Lauren, a third Canadian, was arrested.

Authorities claim he unloaded the marijuana into a rented mini-van.

U. S. drug agents said their investigation was helped when a cellular
phone seized from Mr. Lauren began ringing.  United States Customs
claims the caller was worried about the delay and asked that the
marijuana be delivered to an underground parking lot at the Courtyard
Marriot hotel in Seattle.

"Customs and DEA agents took the marijuana to this location and arrested
four more suspects -- two U.S. citizens and two Canadian citizens," U.S.
Customs said.

Arrested were Yoshi George Yamada, Roderick Arthur Brennan, both
Canadians, and Wesley Dean Antholz and Erin Nicole Harms.  Mr. Antholz
and Ms. Harms are American.

All have been charged with importing and distributing drugs.

Capt.  Lanouette said the Armed Forces has launched its own
investigation to find out how the military vehicles managed to leave the
12th Services Battalion in Richmond.

The seizure comes at a particularly sensitive time after the Canadian
government managed to convince Congress not to go ahead with a
controversial proposal to demand more paperwork at the border from
Canadians, something that could have tied up the border crossings for
hours.

In addition, United States Immigration and Customs services have been
complaining to Congressional committees that the B.C.-Washington border
is becoming increasing popular with drug and people smugglers as well as
terrorists.

Last December, Ahmed Ressan, an alleged Algerian terrorist, was arrested
at B.C.-Washington border with what police claim was bomb-making
material.
Distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest
in receiving the included information for research and educational
purposes.
---
MAP posted-by: John Chase