-Caveat Lector-

Newsmax-Inside Cover

Monday October 9, 2000; 11:01 AM EDT

Clinton Admits He Made Call on Whitewater Prober

For years, defenders of Attorney General Janet Reno's decision
not to appoint an outside counsel to investigate the Clinton-Gore
Chinagate scandal have argued that she's operating on her own -
completely independent of any White House pressure.

 After all, they say, it's not as if she's shied away from
appointing independent counsels in the past.

 But in an interview with New Yorker magazine on the stands this
week, President Clinton admits that it was he, and not Reno, who
made the call to appoint an independent counsel for Whitewater,
an investigation that was eventually expanded to cover
Travelgate, Filegate and the Monica Lewinsky probe.

 "I did it because I was exhausted, because I had just buried my
mother and because I had people in the White House who couldn't
stand the heat," Clinton said of his decision to order Reno to
make the appointment. "They suggested that I do it, that I had to
do it."

I had to do it?

 By law, the attorney general alone is supposed to decide whether
an independent investigation is warranted, with no regard
whatsoever for political concerns - let alone the wishes of the
White House.

 In his 1996 Whitewater book "Blood Sport," author James Stewart
made it clear that Reno had very little say in the appointment
that eventualy led to Clinton's impeachment.

 While the attorney general was arguing in public that any
investigator she picked would be hopelessly tainted by a conflict
of interest, behind the scenes senior Clinton aides decided that
the move would be the quickest way to dispose of the scandal.

 It was Clinton flack George Stephanopoulos, and not anyone at
the Justice Department, who announced the decision to seek an
outside counsel, reports Stewart.

On Jan. 12, 1994, Reno was forced to reverse her position on a
dime. Ten days later she picked New York lawyer Robert Fiske, a
friend of White House counsel Bernie Nussbaum, to investigate
Whitewater.

 The Whitewater probe would be the last one sanctioned by the
attorney general with the potential to damage the Clintons.

Rather than requesting individual independent counsels to probe
the Travelgate, Filegate and Sexgate scandals, Reno simply dumped
everything on Whitewater investigators - who were eventually
overwhelmed by the sheer scope of the Clintons' corruption.

             Kadosh, Kadosh, Kadosh, YHVH, TZEVAOT

  FROM THE DESK OF:                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                      *Mike Spitzer*     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                         ~~~~~~~~          <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

       Shalom, A Salaam Aleikum, and to all, A Good Day.