From:               "Chuck Baldwin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "[EMAIL PROTECTED] " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject:            Chuck Baldwin's Food for thought
Date sent:          Tue, 10 Oct 2000 6:54:5 -0500

Republican Appointments: Nothing to Brag About
by Chuck Baldwin
October 10, 2000

One argument used by the Republican faithful for voting for Mr.
Bush is that he will certainly appoint conservative, pro-life
justices to the Supreme Court and other conservatives to
important positions. However, the record of Republican
appointments (including W’s) doesn’t necessarily bear that
out.

Republican appointments have dominated the High Court for
nearly thirty years. It was a 7-2 Republican majority court that
legalized the murder of unborn babies back in 1973. Still today
Republican appointments hold a 7-2 advantage on the
Supreme Court. And yet the court’s liberal decisions continue.

It was a Republican Supreme Court that recently upheld a ban
on certain semiautomatic weapons. It was a Republican
Supreme Court that recently outlawed students from praying at
football games. It was this same Republican Court that
recently outlawed students from choosing a classmate to give
a prayer at high school graduations. And it was this same
Supreme Court that recently upheld the suspension of a
Kansas youth for (gasp) drawing a picture of a Confederate
flag.

The Supreme Court has continued its penchant for liberal
rulings, a majority of Republican appointments
notwithstanding. And it’s not likely that a Bush White House
will change much in this regard.

In the first presidential debate, Mr. Bush told the American
people to look at his Texas Supreme Court appointments. I
did. I found that in their first ruling on the state’s new parental
notification law, Bush appointed justices decided a teen-age
girl could have an abortion without informing her parents. I also
found that contrary to Bush’s claims, his appointments are
anything but exemplary.

One of Bush’s appointments to the Texas Supreme Court, Al
Gonzales, said, "He [Bush] never asked me my position on
any particular issue." The Texas Lawyer newspaper supported
Gonzales’ statement. It concluded that Bush’s approach to
appointing judges "isn’t quite what one might expect from a
conservative Bible-Belt governor and tort reform champion."

"Bush doesn’t question would-be appointees about abortion or
school prayer, affirmative action or guns … and this may speak
volumes about the men and women he’d tap for the most
powerful courts in the nation if he becomes president." Indeed.
His four Supreme Court appointees are widely viewed as
moderates that consistently side with big business.

Other Bush appointments are even more disturbing. His first
appointment was a Democrat to the insurance commission.
His next appointed was a militant pro-abortion Democrat as
commissioner of health and human services. Just recently
Bush appointed a long-time supporter of abortion and gay
rights, Martha Hill Jamison, to the 164th district court. From a
conservative perspective, this is hardly a record to brag about.

If conservatives would pay more attention to what they are
voting for instead of what they are voting against, the nation
might turn around! As it is, all we get is more of the same,
Republican labels notwithstanding.

----------
If you wish to send me an E-mail please use:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.chuckbaldwinlive.com.

---------  end  ----------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
On the Trail....
with Pat Buchanan and Ezola Foster
http://www.buchananreform.com/trail/trailmain.asp
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Internet Brigade Headquarters
http://www.buchanan.org
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BUCHANAN-FOSTER 2000 HQ
1-800-GO-PAT-GO
http://www.buchananreform.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

A vote for Bush or Gore is a vote to continue Clinton policies!
A vote for Buchanan is a vote to continue America!
Therefore a vote for Gore or Bush is a wasted vote for America!
Don't waste your vote!  Vote for Patrick Buchanan!

Today, candor compels us to admit that our vaunted two-party system is a
snare and a delusion, a fraud upon the nation. Our two parties have become
nothing but two wings of the same bird of prey...
Patrick Buchanan