-Caveat Lector-

From: "Terry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>But then that's Ok cause we keep getting these Fast Food
>>Restaurants on every street corner for job security.
>
>========Same scenario in New England.  I've been wondering
>whether the reason unemployment stats are so good is, besides
>them cooking them for political and public consumption, that
>this younger workforce is on welfare, disability and/or sheltered
>work programs.  It would be easy to take them out of the workforce
>calculation, or into it, as needed and whenever needed.  Like those
>trust fund IOU's.

Well, I can tell you how they are now handling it in Connecticut.  It used to be that
if you were collecting
unemployment, but worked at a job (even part time) that paid you more than your weekly
unemployment allotment,
you were still kept on the books, still had to report your status weekly.  In
otherwords, the Unemployment
Commission wasn't paying you anything because you had earned more than the Commission
allowed, but you were
still on the books as 'unemployed'.  This took into consideration the fact that many
people take temporary or
part-time work just to get their foot in a door of a company, in hopes that perhaps
they will eventually be
hired on as full-time employees; or just that often-times one can get a part-time job
that pays more than what
unemployement gives out.

Now, if you report earnings over your weekly allotment for four weeks in a row, you
are now automatically
removed from the books.  So people who are getting by with a part-time job that just
happens to pay them a
little over what unemployment was paying are now reported as 'employed'...and hence,
we now are presented with
a rosy picture of 'full employment', ignoring the fact that many of the people who are
reported as being
employed are working part-time, sometimes multiple part-time jobs just to make ends
meet.  Or they are working
as temps.  Both types of 'employment' pay a fraction of what full-time, permanent
positions would pay, and
offer little, if any, benefits.  But it is an economic boom for the big companies, who
don't have to pay the
salaries and cost of benefits to maintain a full-time workforce of employees.

June