The Russia Journal
November 11-17, 2000

Russia prepares for a Bush presidency
By EKATERINA LARINA

The neck-and-neck and still-undecided U.S. presidential election may have
Americans on edge and the rest of the world totally baffled, but political
discussions in Russia during the week focused on the implications of a
George W. Bush presidency.

"A Bush victory would be positive for Russia," said Vyacheslav Nikonov, the
president of Fond Politika. "For us, despite the Republicans' more
threatening rhetoric, things were always better with the Republicans than
with the Democrats."

Many others agreed, saying that Russia might have warmer personal feelings
for Democratic contender and current Vice President Al Gore, but they think
that nonetheless, Bush could actually prove a better partner in getting
things done around the world.

"Detente began when [Richard] Nixon was in power; the Cold War ended while
[Ronald] Reagan was president; and START-2 was signed while George Bush Sr.
was president," Nikonov said, referring to three other Republican
presidents.

"But it was under [Harry] Truman that the Cold War began; the Cuban missile
crisis took place during [John F.] Kennedy's time; and the [Bill] Clinton
presidency saw an eight-year long worsening in Russian-American relations,"
he added, naming off three Democratic leaders.

Russian observers are unanimous in saying that a Republican administration
would be less inclined than a Democratic one to meddle in Russia's domestic
affairs. The experts welcome even the fact that the Republicans would make
more demanding and pragmatic partners, saying that this would do more to
help the Russians bring order to their affairs than the Democrats' abstract
rhetoric.

"The harsher the demands on us, the quicker we'll understand that there is
no easy road and that we have to work hard to hold on to our place under
the sun," said Fyodor Shelov-Kovedyayev, who was a first deputy foreign
minister in the early 1990s. "There's an old German proverb that goes:
'Sometimes, to take a step forward, all you need is a kick in the backside.'
"

Shelov-Kovedyayev has worked with both the Bush Sr. and Clinton
administrations. He said that the Republicans make a point of standing up
for issues they consider part of U.S. national interests, but at the same
time, they know how to respect the clearly motivated interests of their
partners.

"If we have a clearly thought out and formulated national interest, which
we can explain and justify, the Republicans will show respect for our point
of view," said Shelov-Kovedyayev. "With the Democrats, we would see a more
abstract approach, more humanitarian rhetoric and so on."

Nikonov thought the Republicans could have more freedom than the Democrats
in their relations with Russia. Firstly, because they wouldn't have to fear
being accused of betraying national interests, and secondly, because there
are a number of moments that cast a shadow over Russia's cooperation with
the Democrats.

"The Republicans have a clear pro-American policy and are not afraid to be
accused of betraying national interests," he said. "At the same time,
paradoxical as it may seem, it is the Democratic establishment that counts
among its ranks the greatest number of people from Eastern Europe, who have
a whole range of prejudices. Most Republicans, meanwhile, are Anglo-Saxons
and don't feel any genetic complex toward Russia."

Even Russia's Communists, who by definition are on the left of the
political spectrum, feel more sympathy for Bush Jr. and would rather see a
Republican administration in the United States, according to observers.

"The Republicans always followed a more balanced, conservative policy with
regard to Russia, and unlike the Democrats, didn't try to meddle in our
domestic affairs," said Andrei Andreyev, a spokesman for the State Duma's
Communists. "As for the fact that the Republicans won't be lenient when it
comes to debts and loans, it's high time we learned to live according to
our means."

In his statements on the U.S. elections, President Vladimir Putin was
careful not to show outward sympathy for either one or other of the
candidates. Speaking to journalists in Rostov-on-Don, he said only that the
United States "is one of our most important partners, and we have therefore
examined carefully the programs of both candidates. [Both programs] speak
clearly of developing relations with Russia, and this approach suits us."

Other officials have also kept to a carefully neutral position.

"I can't add anything to what the president said," said Security Council
spokesman Vladimir Nikanorov. "We respect the choice of the American people
and will work with the president they elect."

Kremlin spokespeople repeated the official line that Russia can't and
shouldn't comment on the choice of the American people. They also took
pleasure in repeating the joke that, facing the problem of having to
recount votes in Florida, the Americans turned to Russian electoral
officials for help. The result was that in a matter of hours, Vladimir
Putin took the lead.

While many in Russia took the whole affair of the vote recount with a pinch
of irony, not many seriously agreed with head of the Central Electoral
Committee Alexander Veshnyakov's statement that this demonstrated the
superiority of the Russian direct election system over the U.S. two-tier
system.

"Obviously, since the American electoral system was created 200 years ago,
it's a bit archaic, but I think things won't go beyond a burst of
discussion on improving it," Nikonov said.

"The American system is like a Formula One race where two cars are nose to
nose and you need a photo finish to determine the winner; and the Russian
system is like free races on Minsk Shosse, where anyone who wants can
participate, but you've got a motorcade roaring through with lights
flashing, and traffic cops always stopping everyone else."

The Communist Party's Andreyev said that if Russia had any experience it
could share with America, it was his party's experience in fighting
election fraud.

"This chaos when it comes to vote counting is a scandal over there, but it
happens here every time we have elections," Andreyev said. "A lot of people
are surprised to see that there too, you can have boxes turn up with votes
that haven't been counted. We could share our experience in fighting
election fraud. We've got more experience than anyone else."