-Caveat Lector-

CIA warns US faces biggest threat since World War II

http://www.dawn.com/2000/12/09/int1.htm

LOS ANGELES, Dec 8: The 'wild card' of technology - from nuclear
proliferation to the information revolution - has left US interests more
susceptible to terrorist attack than at any time since the end of World War
Two, CIA Director George Tenet said on Thursday.

Tenet said America's technical superiority in intelligence gathering was
under threat from such rapid advances, while the "evil mix of fanaticism and
flexibility" behind the October attack on the USS Cole made the next strike
"not a question of if, but of when and where."

Tenet, addressing a Los Angeles luncheon in a rare public speech, declined
to talk in detail about the Oct. 12 apparent suicide bombing of the Cole in
Yemen.

But he said the attack was a grim reminder of the "terrorist foe without
heart or pity" that threatened US interests around the world on a daily
basis.

"We are in an environment where we are literally inundated with threats and
warnings all the time," Tenet said in response to a question about the Cole.

"Making sense of disparate threats is sometimes very difficult to do in the
time available. We have deterred a great number of terrorist events. But you
will not bat 100 (percent) with these people."

US officials have said Saudi Arabian exile Osama bin Laden is considered a
prime suspect in the planning of the Cole attack but they have not
established a definitive link.

Seventeen American sailors were killed when a small boat filled with
explosives blew up alongside the USS Cole in the port of Aden in Yemen.

Tenet said the destabilizing effects of ethnic conflicts, easy access to
information such as satellite imagery, and the proliferation of nuclear
weapon technology made for a world without front lines.

"We in the intelligence community believe the chances for unpleasant - even
deadly - surprise are greater now than at any time since the end of the
Second World War," Tenet said.

The CIA chief called rapid advances in technology the "wild card" in the
volatile equation surrounding the military, commercial and diplomatic
dominance of the United States since the end of the Cold War.

"I will be blunt with you: the pace of technological change threatens to
erode America's technical advantage in intelligence - an advantage that has
long been a pillar of our national security," Tenet said.

He said the CIA was pushing for investments in technology and in people to
ensure that the United States does not fall "totally behind the curve."

Despite issues ranging from drug trafficking and cyber warfare to
humanitarian crises which he said had stretched the capabilities of US
intelligence to their limit, Tenet said the CIA had a long list of
accomplishments.

- More than two dozen terrorists - more than half of them linked to Osama
bin Laden - brought to justice around the world since July 1998.

- Support of US government efforts to achieve peace in the Middle East.

- Zero US casualties in daily American air patrols of the no-fly zone in
Iraq in the past 10 years.