-Caveat Lector-

On Sat, 16 Dec 2000 19:39:12 -0800 Cliff Hume <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>-Caveat Lector-
>>At 06:10 AM 12/16/00 -0800, you wrote:
>>>The problem is that Anarchists believe in self-rule, which man has
>>proven, over and over again,
unattainabl                                                          From
fuzzy22
From: fuzzy22
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Fcc: Sent
Subject: Urine Testing

        I read this article with great interest.  While a case may be
made for drug testing pilots, and certain others in the transportation
industry, two things should be pointed out.  First, marijuana metabolites
are detectable in the body for up to 8 weeks after use, long after any
effects have worn off and long after much more dangerous drugs are
undetectable (1 -7 days).  This encourages the use of harder drugs
because they are less detectable.  Second, eating some commercially
available health foods can cause a positive result for marijuana.  I
refer you to the "Journal of Analytical Toxicology", vol 21, July/August
1997.  Once a positive test result is obtained, it is impossible to
remove the "taint".
        I am not adverse to drug testing where absolutely necessary, but
I do question why 75% of blue collar jobs advertised require a drug
screening before employment, and often random testing thereafter, while
very few management or executive jobs have that requirement even at the
same company.   Elected officials at all levels are excluded from drug
testing.  Most public school teachers, at least in Oregon, are also not
tested.  Why is it considered a necessity to test my Burger Flipper, but
not my elected representatives?  Why is it that there is a push to test
my children but not their teachers?
        Like Prohibition, the time has come to end this madness.  The
Drug War is costing us billions every year, yet any 12 year old can show
you where to buy drugs.  Over 50% of our prison population are nonviolent
drug offenders, many incarcerated for simple possession of drugs.  Nine
of our states have legalized the use of marijuana for medical purposes,
but these legal users are barred from employment by "Zero Tolerance" drug
testing programs that the federal government has encouraged in private
industry.  It is time to stop the madness aimed at the poorest segments
of our society, the minimum wage and blue collar workers.

Jayson R. Jones
P.O. Box 67
Swisshome, OR, 97480
(541)268-9986