-Caveat Lector-

Newsmax-Inside Cover

Wednesday Dec. 20, 2000; 7:04 p.m. EST

Hillary's Book Set to Open Old Wounds for Foster's Widow

Elizabeth "Lisa" Moody, who was widowed in July 1993 when her
then-husband Vince Foster was found shot to death in a Virginia
park, may be in for still more heartache in the months to come
thanks to the $8 million book deal Hillary Clinton signed last
week to pen a tell-all about her private life.

 One of the topics Clinton is expected to deal with in order to
justify her whopping advance is her relationship with the late
deputy White House counsel, according to a published report in a
supermarket weekly with close ties to the administration.

 Reportedly the book will reveal, "the depth of Vince Foster's
obession for Hillary -- and the emotional trauma she suffered
over his suicide," reports this week's National Enquirer, which
boasts of a legal staff headed up by the Clintons' personal
scandal lawyer David Kendall.

 In a comment sure to reopen old wounds for Lisa and Foster's
three children, a Washington source told the tabloid Hillary is
expected to "admit her feelings for longtime Clinton friend and
White House aide Vince Foster, and say that he was in love with
her.... She knows he was in love with her."

 "(Foster) gave her strength in the face of Bill's infidelities,"
the source added. "When Vince committed suicide, Hillary was
screaming and crying. It was as though she'd lost a husband, not
just a longtime friend."

 The first lady's decision to cash in now on Foster's memory is
particularly cynical, since White House spinmeisters have for
years invoked concern for the well-being of his family to block
reporters' questions about his mysterious demise.

 Through five federal investigations into the 1993 tragedy,
administration spokespeople repeatedly warned reporters not to
"prolong the suffering of the Foster family."

 In January Clinton bristled when Buffalo, NY talk radio host Tom
Bauerle asked her about rumors that she and Foster had an affair:

 BAUERLE: Mrs. Clinton, you're going to hate me. You were on
television last night talking about your relationship with the
president, Bill Clinton. Have you ever been sexually unfaithful
to him, and specifically, the stories about you and Vince Foster
-- any truth in them?

 HILLARY: Well, you know, Tom, I do hate you for that. Because,
you know, those questions -- I think -- are really out of bounds.
And everybody who knows me knows the answers to those questions.
You know, I just...

 BAUERLE: Is the answer no?

 HILLARY: Well, yes. Of course it's no.

For weeks afterward, Bauerle took a beating from reporters and
pundits who criticized him for going over the line.

 But now, with a multi-million dollar book contract on the line,
Mrs. Clinton is apparently ready to open up in a way that is sure
to be painful for Foster's family.

 In 1995 Foster's wife got remarried to James Moody, an Arkansas
judge appointed by President Clinton. As the wedding approached,
Lisa Moody sat for an interview with The New Yorker magazine,
where she discussed rumors that her first husband had cheated
with Hillary.

 In its September 1995 issue, The New Yorker reported:

 "In December of 1993, her first Christmas without Vince, (Lisa)
was home alone and received a call from her Washington attorney.
He told her that 'A Current Affair,' a tabloid TV show, was about
to broadcast a rumor that he knew would upset her -- allegations
by Arkansas state troopers that Vince and Hillary Clinton had had
an affair.

 "Lisa broke down. She left her house sobbing, and walked three
blocks to a Catholic seminary, and there she sat beneath a statue
of the Blessed Mother. 'I cried my eyes out for
forty-five-minutes,' she recalls. 'I thought. This is more than I
can take.'"

 Foster's widow told The New Yorker that she never believed the
Hillary-Vince rumors were true.

 "One reason I believe there's nothing to it is the way he
treated me. I mean, I just don't think somebody is a loving
husband and treats me the way he would treat me if he's having an
affair, whether it's with Hillary or with anybody else.

 "And the second reason is, I don't think Hillary would do it. I
mean, she's the mother of Chelsea, and there's Bill. The type of
friendship she and Bill had was not a romantic one."

 What if the Enquirer report turns out to be just a promotion to
gin up interest in Clinton's book -- and the first lady actually
has no intention of discussing her relationship with Foster?

 If so, the Foster family won't know one way or the other till
2003, the publication date for Hillary's tell-all.

Until then they can only wait and wonder what Mrs. Clinton is
willing to say that might embarass them and shame the memory of
the man they remember only as a good husband and father.

             Kadosh, Kadosh, Kadosh, YHVH, TZEVAOT

  FROM THE DESK OF:
                     *Michael Spitzer*  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>