-Caveat Lector-

From: "Nessie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>Seems to me it would have been very hard to build this complex of
>>tunnels in secret.
>
>I take it you have never read an account of life at Luftstalag III, or
>seen Hollywood's fictionalized version, The Great Escape.
>
>And you're probably too young to remember Viet Nam.

I'm 47, so I remember Viet Nam very well.  The tunnels the Viet Cong used were only
secret to the enemy, not
to sympathizers.  In other words, I find it hard to believe that no villager in an
area where the tunnels were
being built by the VC knew that they were being built.

We're not talking prisoners working on escaping here...we're talking a complex of
tunnels built presumably by
those in charge, not by those who were IN their charge.  According to the article,
these tunnels went to other
buildings nearby...how could access have been gained to those other buildings, if the
McMartin's didn't own
those buildings?

The article also stated that one tunnel had an underground room off of it...this
doesn't sound like some
narrow escape tunnel, but something planned carefully, and built strongly.  Who drew
up the plans, who did the
actual construction?  Was it hired out, or are we to believe it was done on weekends
by some pedophilic
Tooltime Tim, with materials procured at Home Depot and Lowe's?  And if the latter,
one would think that
neighbors would have noticed SOMETHING going on...

So perhaps the tunnel complex predates the buildings above them?  And that the access
to and from these
various buildings in the neighborhood -- including the McMartin Preschool -- were
added those buildings were
constructed...?

June