-Caveat Lector-

On Wed, 27 Dec 2000 01:31:12 -0700 MICHAEL SPITZER
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>-Caveat Lector-
>Preparing for the Terrorist Threat
>By Jon Basil Utley
>Full article at:
>http://www.InsideTheWeb.com/messageboard/mbs.cgi?acct=mb1075995
>Excerpt:

>A congressional advisory panel reports that a national strategy
>is needed to defend against terrorist attacks, but some plans
>would have us give up our civil liberties.

>The potential for terrorist attacks inside U.S. borders is a
>serious, emerging threat," warns Republican Virginia Gov. James
>Gilmore. Gilmore is chairman of a congressionally mandated panel
>studying the changing threat to U.S. security and what kind of

>What's needed, according to Gilmore, is a "truly national
>strategy" with the creation of a "National Office to Combat
>Terrorism" reporting to the president. Moreover, the national
>office would be overseen by a new joint congressional committee.
>The implications for the future of American society, the way it
>is organized, and the implications for civil liberties are just
>now beginning to be examined by a number of groups.

Now why am I not surprised that it is the Republicans leading the charge
to take away more of our rights and freedoms?   They are good at creating
a 'boogyman' and then whipping up public sentiment to demand more of our
rights and freedoms be taken away.  What is it with today's list
offerings?  Almost every one seems to be glaring examples of our
continual loss of rights and freedoms.  Is it just me or are others
seeing an escalation of the attacks on the Constitution "for our own
good"?
Jayson (Too much coffee???)