-Caveat Lector-

>I used to be a 'member' of Australian Skeptics. The reason I use ''' is
>that Australian Skeptics, despite having control of over a million dollars
>of trust money, doesn't have a membership at large, only subscribers to
>it's magazine. Although said magazine has been dead silent on the issue, a
>former President of the Australian Skeptics, Adam Joseph, (who used to
>appear on the Skeptics radio show on RRR in melbourne until the
>Scientologists had them taken off air, but that's another story) has a
>web-page about the incredible in-fighting in the group. One of the group's
>formerly most stalwart members, Harry Edwards, an author of several books
>on the paranormal, was expelled for 'corruption' and sued by the group,
>unsuccesfully. They have now threatened the Australian Rationalist
>magazine into not printing these facts, the article of which is to be found
>http://freethoughts.s5.com
>It makes interesting reading. In his defence, Edwards claims that the
>group blurs the distinctions between the Australian Skeptics Inc (aka the
>NSW Committee) and the Trust. He also claims that after his solicitors
>examined the situation, the skeptic's Trust was not set up properly and is
>a private Trust, not a Charitable Trust, which has tax implications for
>the group.
>An interesting article for all current and former 'members' of the
>Australian Skeptics, as well as no doubt many of the new-agers and Xtian
>fundamentalists on the list to dance around gleefully. Well it's that time
>of the year, so be it.

I have had a few experiences with Australian Skeptics:

1)  I attended several conferences where Australian Skeptics had to be
forcibly ejected due to their public behaviour.  They yelled, cat called
and jeered continually during lectures, and made it difficult for anyone
else to hear what was being discussed.

2)  I have been invited onto three radio shows, all run by Australian
Skeptics members.  Each time, I was told outright lies about what the
show was, and what they wanted to discuss.  For example, Adam Joseph (who
was removed from the airwaves NOT by Scientologists, but because his drug
habits were becoming too embarrassingly public) invited me onto his show
to discuss alternative health issues.  Once I was on air I realised it
was an ambush.  He wanted the public to know that I was a neo-nazi, with
fascist leanings.  (Another example of their blatant lies and filth).
Their prime witness was an ex-neo nazi, and some-time journalist called
David Grierson.  Grierson, with a history of mental instability, has been
on a personal vendetta against myself and my magazine after I rejected
his sexual advances in a hotel in Tripoli, Libya.

Another example is so-called journalist, Philip Adams.  He invited me
onto his show to defend myself against his accusations that I was a
neo-nazi.  I told his program director that I would be in the USA during
the time he wanted me on his show.  Needless to say, the show aired
without me, special guest prosecutor was the sexually rejected David
Grierson, and I was smeared, lied about and basically shat upon.  The
told listeners that I had been invited onto the show, but 'for some
reason had declined to come on'.

The Australian Skeptics, as an organisation, and as members, have a sorry
track-record.  They are guilty of resorting to the same tactics as their
targets.

They profess to exist to protect innnocents from being lied to and ripped
off, and yet they do exactly that.

The Skeptics groups around the world remind me of true fascists,
information fascists.  Unless we all conform to 'expert' facts, then we
risk being attacked by these thugs.

It is groups like the Skeptics that stifle exploration of the unknown.
They seek to standardise, monopolise and smear what they do not
understand.

I subscribe to their journals, and I read their 'evidence' about how this
therapy is bunk, or that theory is absurd, or how that UFO was just marsh
gas.  Their articles are shallow, poorly referenced, (and they
extensively use circular referencing) and emotive.  I have yet to read a
convincing article with evidence to back up their smear campaigns.

Skeptics like Adam Joseph and Philip Adams have become the exactly the
same as those they seek to ridicule.

Ironic isn't it!

Duncan

Duncan M. Roads
Editor, NEXUS Magazine
PO Box 30, Mapleton Qld 4560 Australia
Tel: +61 (0)7 5442 9280;   Fax:  +61 (0)7 5442 9381
http://www.nexusmagazine.com      ICQ#62399259

"The nature of the universe is such that ends can never justify the means.
On the contrary, the means always determine the end."
(Aldous Huxley)