-Caveat Lector-

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/01/07/nyregion/07PLAN.html

New York Times | 7 Dec. 2001

As Search Continues for Plane, Skepticism About Crash Grows

By SHERRI DAY

     A day after witnesses said they saw a small single-engine airplane
     go down into the Hudson River and sink, searchers last night still
     had found no evidence of a crash and had not received any report of
     a missing plane.

     That lack of information contributed to mounting skepticism among
     the police that a plane crash had, in fact, occurred.

     About 8:30 a.m. Friday two women who were driving into Manhattan
     across the George Washington Bridge called the police to say that
     they had seen a plane fly low over the bridge. They said the plane,
     which appeared to be a white Cessna with blue stripes, glided onto
     the river south of the bridge and then sank. Two people on the
     ground later also told the police that they had seen a small plane
     go into the Hudson.

     Police officials said that about 2 p.m. yesterday the search
     operation, which at one time included helicopters and scuba divers,
     had been scaled back to two harbor boats.

     Earlier in the day, the search was extended to Weehawken, N.J.,
     some four miles south of the initial search area, after a man there
     said he had seen large pieces of debris floating down the river. As
     of early evening, police officials said, that siting still had not
     been confirmed.

     Since the police have been unable to uncover any evidence debris or
     an oil slick that would suggest a crash, officials said that they
     were increasingly doubtful that the witnesses actually saw a plane
     go down, especially because authorities were on the scene within 10
     minutes of receiving the initial call.

     "We're optimistic that there was no plane crash," said Sgt. Brian
     Burke, a police spokesman, who added that if a plane had crashed
     during the morning rush, more people on the bridge and surrounding
     highways most likely would have seen the accident and called 911.

     But since the accounts of the shoreline witnesses were similar to
     the women in the car, Sergeant Burke said, the police were
     proceeding as if a plane had entered the water.

     The Federal Aviation Administration's radar records were also a
     factor in maintaining the search, he said, because they confirmed
     the presence of a plane in the vicinity at the time. The plane,
     flying in an area not monitored by air traffic controllers, dropped
     below the radar's scanning range three miles south of the bridge.

     But Leigh Russo, one of the women on the bridge who reported the
     plane had gone down, said she was positive about what she saw.

     "I don't understand why they feel doubtful that there's a plane in
     the water, because there's a plane in the water," she said in a
     telephone interview from her home in Dumont, N.J. "I just know that
     we were very concerned that somebody was down in that water."

     Ms. Russo, who is a human resources and labor director for a retail
     company, said she, too, was surprised that more people had not seen
     the plane go into the water.

     "We're baffled as to why nobody else saw it except us," she said.
     "But we saw it, and there's somebody down there somewhere."