-Caveat Lector-

The effectiveness of placebo cures is well documented, however you should remember
they work in only a small number of cases overall. By their very nature, if I were to
dance naked around your bed yelling and beating myself could have a placebo effect if
I told you it would drive out the evil spirits, but personally I would rather
something more reliable like anti-biotics, anti-psychotics, anti-depressants,
painkillers, blood thinning medication, asthma ventilators, and all the other miracles
which are found in the modern medical cabinet.

Pre 20th century medicine was primitive, but despite all the horrible things you would
expect a lot of people didn't die. In the US civil war, there were many thousands of
combatants who lost arms and legs but did not die of infections or shock. People who
got serious infections didn't always die, although you would expect them to. The body
itself has natural mechanisms for defeating many illnesses and injuries under ideal
conditions.

People like good news. If a faith healer 'heals' 100 people, or 1,000 people, and one
of them is miraculously cured, people are ecstatic. No matter if the person relapses
days or months later, or may not have been sick in the first place (except
psychologically).