-Caveat Lector-

"M.A. Johnson" wrote:

> -Caveat Lector-
>
> Nessie
>     Before public education, literacy was limited to a handful, all rich or
>      in the employ of the church. That was failure.

Some of you may enjoy reading the following book:

http://www.centuryone.com/1849-3.html

HOW THE IRISH SAVED CIVILIZATION :
The Untold Story of Ireland's Heroic Role
(Hinges of History Series Volume 1)
Thomas Cahill
(cover price $12.95)

 CenturyOne Price $10.36 — Savings of $2.59 (20%)
 Item #1849-3

The untold story of Ireland's role in maintaining Western
culture while the Dark Ages settled on Europe. Every year
millions of Americans celebrate St. Patrick's Day, but they
may not be aware of how great an influence St. Patrick was
on the subsequent history of civilization. Not only did he
bring Christianity to Ireland, he instilled a sense of literacy and
learning that would create the conditions that allowed Ireland to become
"the isle of saints and scholars" — and thus preserve Western culture
while Europe was being overrun by barbarians.

In this entertaining and compelling narrative, Thomas Cahill tells the
story of how Europe evolved front the classical age of Rome to the
medieval era. Without Ireland, the transition could not have taken
place. Not only did Irish monks and scribes maintain the very record of
Western civilization — copying manuscripts of Greek and Latin writers,
both pagan and Christian, while libraries and learning on the continent
were forever lost — they brought their uniquely Irish world-view to the
task.

As Cahill delightfully illustrates, so much of the liveliness we
associate with medieval culture has its roots in Ireland. When the seeds
of culture were replanted on the European continent, it was from Ireland
that they were germinated. In the tradition of Barbara Tuchmail's A
Distant Mirror, How The Irish Saved Civilization reconstructs an era
that few know about but which is central to understanding our past and
our cultural heritage. But it conveys its knowledge with a winking wit
that aptly captures the sensibility of the unsung Irish who relaunched
civilization.

Kelly