-Caveat Lector-

Dear List,

Info on the virus is below.

Sincerely, Neil

from http://www.zdnet.com/zdhelp/stories/main/0,5594,2449644,00.html

an AOL-specific Trojan Horse worm has returned; it operates as an Internet
worm, stealing user passwords and it will forward "buddy-list" addresses to
the virus' author. Identified early in 2000, APSTrojan.qa has been upgraded
to a medium risk by one anti-virus software company based on incident reports
from its customers.

What it does

This worm comes as an AOL e-mail with as subject line, "hey you," and a
message which reads:

hey i finally got my pics scanned..theres like 5 or 6 of them..so just
download it and unzip it..and for you people who dont know how to then scroll
down..tell me what you think of my pics ok? if you dont know how to unzip
then follow these steps When you sign off, AOL will automatically unzip the
file, unless you have turned this feature off in your download preferences.
If you want to do it manually then On the My Files menu on the AOL toolbar,
click Download Manager. In the Download Manager window, click Show Files
Downloaded. Select my file and click Decompress
The e-mail comes with an attachment MINE.ZIP Activating this worm requires
that you first open the e-mail, and then either use AOL's automatic unzip
feature, or another utility to extract the zip file. MINE.ZIP unzips into two
files: MINE.EXE and README.TXT. README.TXT is not significant, but can be
used to identify the presence of the virus, as it contains the message, "Did
you like it? Write Back ok?=Þ"