-Caveat Lector-

WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

Sunday February 4 1:57 PM ET
Powell Sees NATO in Balkans for Years

By Jonathan Wright

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - NATO (news - web sites) troops will probably stay in
the Balkans for years and U.S. troops will not leave Bosnia or Kosovo ``in
the immediate future,'' Secretary of State Colin Powell (news - web sites)
said in an interview broadcast on Sunday.

``There is no exit date for the whole force either in Bosnia and Kosovo.
Those will be long-term commitments,'' he told ABC's ''This Week'' program.

``Although we would like to see all of the troops come out, ours and others,
this is not going to be the case in the immediate future,'' he added.

Asked what he meant by a long-term commitment, he said: ``I think NATO is
going to be there in both places for years. The situation does not seem to
indicate to me, anyway, that in the near future we can simply pull out all of
the NATO troops.''

His comments were another indication that the administration of U.S.
President George W. Bush (news - web sites) has had second thoughts about any
abrupt withdrawal from Bosnia and Kosovo, where U.S. troops are part of
NATO-led peacekeeping forces.

Washington's European allies believe that a U.S. withdrawal from the Balkans
would weaken the Atlantic alliance and mark a shift toward isolationism in
U.S. foreign policy.

Powell, giving his first lengthy television interview since taking office on
Jan. 20, was also conciliatory toward Europe on U.S. plans for a national
missile defense (NMD) opposed by Russia, China and some of Washington's
European allies.

``It is not something that is going to happen without full consultation with
our friends and allies and full consultation with the Russians, and beyond
that, full consultation with other nations that have an interest in this is
Asia -- Japan, Korea and China,'' he said.

Moving Embassy To Jerusalem

If necessary, the United States would negotiate with Russia on possible
modifications to the Anti-Ballistic Missile (ABM) Treaty of 1972, which bans
the kind of system Bush wants.

But Powell added: ``We have to hold out the possibility that it may be
necessary to leave that treaty if it is no longer serving our purposes or if
it's not something that we can accommodate our programs within.''

Powell was equally cautious on Bush's campaign pledge to start ``the process
of moving the U.S. ambassador to the city Israel has chosen as its capital''.

Moving the U.S. embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem would anger Arab public
opinion and damage the ability of the United States to act as a mediator in
Arab-Israeli peace talks.

Powell said: ``At this time of tension ... we will continue to examine when
that process will begin... We are always examining it, but there is no move
yet to move the embassy, although that remains the goal of the United States
and it remains the commitment made by President Bush (news - web sites).''

He said the word ``process'' -- the word Bush used during his election
campaign last year -- could have different meanings. ''Sometimes it means
stall. Sometimes it means move right ahead,'' he said.

On mediation in the Middle East, Powell said the United States would be an
``honest broker'' and that Bush would be ''involved'' after Israelis vote in
premiership elections on Tuesday and the winner forms a government.

Relations With China

``We will always be committed to the security of Israel, but we also will be
anxious to see what we could do in every way possible to achieve the
legitimate aspirations of the Palestinian people,'' the secretary of state
added.

In the meantime he urged both sides to avoid violence and provocations.
``What matters to the peace process is that we enter this election period and
come out of it with violence kept down,'' he added.

Powell said the United States had not made decisions on two issues likely to
affect relations with China -- whether to sell Aegis-type destroyers to
Taiwan and whether to support a resolution critical of China at the annual
meeting of the U.N. Human Rights Commission in Geneva this spring.

``We have an obligation to Taiwan to make sure that their level of defense
capability remains constant over time and they are in a position to defend
themselves against any threats that might come their way,'' he said.

He denied he disagreed with Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld on the level of
support the United States should give to the opposition Iraqi National
Congress (INC), which hopes to overthrow Iraqi President Saddam Hussein (news
- web sites) with U.S. support.

Iraqi opposition sources say they believe that Rumsfeld and Vice President
Dick Cheney (news - web sites) favor more support for the INC, while Powell
is lukewarm about the group's prospects.

``We are in the process of discussing what our policy with respect to Iraq
should be, and there is no disagreement at this point that I am aware of
between Secretary Rumsfeld and myself,'' Powell said.