-Caveat Lector-

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [southnews] YMCA launches campaign against Israel
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 14:27:27 -0600 (CST)
From: David Muller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: undisclosed-recipients:;

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details
http://click.egroups.com/1/11231/1/_/_/_/982302974/

  ----------

International YMCA launches campaign against Israel

By Elli Wohlgelernter, The Jerusalem Post
Friday, February 16 2001

JERUSALEM (February 16) - The World Alliance of YMCAs, based in Geneva,
is injecting itself into Middle East politics by launching an
anti-Israel crusade, which is causing a rift between YMCAs in the US and
Canada and the worldwide organization.

The international group has posted on its Web site a 3,000-word report
based on a five-day visit to "Palestine" in November by its
representatives, concluding that "the one-sided nature of the conflict
demands that the YMCA take the side of the oppressed Palestinian
people."

The Simon Wiesenthal Center has criticized the report as "a virtual
rubber stamp for continued Palestinian violence," and has initiated an
international campaign to have YMCAs around the world stop funding the
world center.

Kenneth Gladish, national executive director of YMCA of the USA, has
written a letter to Geneva distancing his group from the World Alliance
report.

"The language, tone, and characterizations included in [the report] do
nothing to aid the true cause of peace and stability, nor do they
position the YMCA for effective service across the boundaries of
dispute," he wrote in the letter dated February 1. "These documents are
inappropriate and can serve only to inflame the long-standing tensions
in the region."

The chairman of YMCA Canada has also expressed reservations about the
report, stating in a February 8 letter to the Wiesenthal Center "that
some of the statements are one-sided and biased and do not reflect the
violence that has been committed by all parties concerned. We will be
addressing our concerns to the World Alliance with the hope that a more
balanced and moderated perspective can be presented to our collective
constituency."

Rabbi Abraham Cooper, associate dean of the Wiesenthal Center, said the
report "is a total shift, a step out of character and a very dangerous
one" for the international organization, and that he is very concerned
that this can be the beginning of a domino effect of other
non-governmental organizations "ganging up" on Israel to justify the
behavior of the Palestinian Authority.

"From our point of view, the bottom line is either send a team and tell
the other side of the story or, better yet, go back to what you do
best," Cooper said last night from Los Angeles. "This is not an area
they should be involved in. And if they don't, we will formally call on
the international YMCA community to defund Geneva."

Cooper said that the Wiesenthal Center has contacted YMCAs in over 20
countries urging them to demand that the biased report be dropped.

The World Alliance report can be read on its Web site,
http://www.ymca.int/programs/Declarations/Palestine-ReportNov2000.htm.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations, a Washington-based activist
group, in its American Muslim News Briefs e-mail on Tuesday included a
message urging everyone to write to the YMCA in support of its position.

"I'm afraid also that whatever the results of this particular
controversy, we might be seeing this replayed in the NGO playing field,
from humanitarian and maybe environmental NGOs, suddenly getting
involved in this area," Cooper said.

The YMCA in Geneva responded on its Web site to criticism of its report
for being one-sided by saying, "The recent report was based on the visit
of an international team who for reasons of time and circumstances did
not also visit Israel."

[EMAIL PROTECTED]