-Caveat Lector-

> Of course there's also the theory that that Dr. John Dee took time off from
>translating the Necronomicon to pen the plays. Laugh if you want, there was an
>oddball American millionaire (I forget his name, does anyone else know?) who was
>paying various mathematicians in the 1930s to find the secret codes hidden in the
>plays for future generations to decipher. Many of these mathematicians later got jobs
>as code-breakers for the British and cracked the German Enigma code.

Not so farfetched - about the American I can recall hearing a similar
story but I also fail to remember his name. But about the alleged codes I
have heard another theory. I live here in Nova Scotia and we have a local
mystery known as the "Oak Island Money Pit" and this pit, discovered in
the 1700's, is very intricately designed, such that no one has ever gotten
to the literal bottom of the enigma. Most "solutions" are mundane, e.g.,
it contains Captain Kidd's/pirate treasure. One of the more interesting
theories though has it that it was constructed in the Elizabethan era by
some shadowy cabal (freemasons? illuminati?) and contains the complete
writings of Bacon - his esoteric writings, including the Shakespearian
canon, that contain hidden codes in the texts that provide some
enlightening or even earth-shattering knowledge such that it had to be
secreted from the hoi polloi. The "Pit" has also been linked to the lost
Templar fortune and the Holy Grail by some theorists.

Jamieson