-Caveat Lector-

"That's how the president speaks"

 By Bill C. Davis

March 9, 2001

http://www.onlinejournal.com/Commentary/Davis030901/davis030901.html

The man who won the Nobel Peace Prize sits next to George and we listen
and watch as George says things like: "We had a frank discussion—a
good discussion." "We'll consult closely. We'll stay in touch." He points to a
reporter, sans nickname, after Kim Dae Jung has responded in depth to a
question, and George says to the reporter something like, "Go ahead, if
you can remember your question. Or if you know the answer." Implying
perhaps that Kim Dae Jung went on too long and that he, George, will not
have an answer, or that the reporter, like he, must strain to remember what
he was thinking or if he was thinking. This, I suppose, is what people like
Tom Brokaw and Cokie Roberts would call charming. I call it frightening.

Equally frightening is a response from a White House spokesman to a
question about a George statement. Explaining why he is suspicious of
North Korea, George is quoted in an article by David E. Sanger in the New
York Times as saying, "We're not certain as to whether or not they're
keeping all terms of all agreements." According to the article there is
apparently only one agreement America has with North Korea and there is
no evidence that it is not keeping those terms. The White House
spokesman said that George was referring to future agreements. When
pressed about the fact the George did not use the future tense, the
spokesman said, "That's how the president speaks." That's how the
president speaks.

George's impromptu speaking is a reflection of his simplistic thinking
process and his lack of emotional and intellectual connection to
complicated and ambiguous issues. He can't seem to process them. He
comes out with things like: "The North Koreans should know that we are a
peaceful people. They need not be fearful of us." It's bad dialogue from a
Grade-B science fiction movie. Yes, we are building a missile defense
system. Yes, our military budget is bigger than the next seven countries
combined. Yes, we bomb Baghdad. Yes a girl, in a Catholic school, named
Bush shot her classmate in the back, but we are a peaceful people and
until you can assure me that you see us that way, I will be very suspicious of
you. What gives him the right to be suspicious and at the same time
oblivious to the suspicions of others? Somehow he feels he has said we
are a peaceful people and they should just accept that and our suspicions
without any resentment or indignation.

Colin Powell, shifting from previous positions, now refers to North Korea as
a threat. There are no imminent negotiations about to take place. The way
the president speaks not only reflects a simplistic thought process, but
seems to create them as well. It's a new version of collateral damage.

The military used to exist to protect our borders, now it exists to protect our
interests. Who is defining "interests" for us? Is it George? His sponsors? If
he had a clear grasp of the agenda he was fronting for, one could feel
secure. If I felt it was all a big chess game and the overriding interest of all
parties, after all is said and done, was the preservation of the chessboard,
I'd sort of sit back and watch the spectacle. But somehow I feel this could
spiral out of control with George holding the pieces. In a sane world, he
would get a vote of no confidence and retire to his ranch, which is what he
wants to do anyway.

My anger about not seeing Al Gore there talking to Kim Dae Jung is
reserved for the people like that spokesman who said, "That's just the way
the president speaks." The mantra for the enablers: "That's just the way he.
. . . ." fill in the blank. My anger is for the senators and congressmen on both
sides who just let it happen as they try to convince us and them that he can
do it; that he'll be fine and that's just the way he speaks.

I think the guy who knows better than anyone what is happening to the
country is Dick Cheney–a smart guy, probably patriotic. Maybe he is
developing a global vision, but even he has to know that it's not just the way
the president speaks, it's the president. You just know the poor guy is trying
but, God bless him, his heart is just not in it.

ANOMALOUS IMAGES AND UFO FILES
http://www.anomalous-images.com