<FONT COLOR="#000099">Make good on the promise you made at graduation to keep
</FONT><A HREF="http://us.click.yahoo.com/03IJGA/DMUCAA/4ihDAA/zzNVlB/TM"><B>Click
Here!</B></A>

APRIL 01, 13:26 EST

McVeigh Book: I Would Die for Bombing

Timothy McVeigh
AP/ [15K]

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) ‹ Driving down a street with fuses already lit and their
smoke filling the cab of his rented Ryder truck, Timothy McVeigh was
prepared to crash his mobile bomb right into the Oklahoma City federal
building if necessary.

``If I needed to, I was ready to stay in the truck and protect it with
gunfire until the bomb blew up,'' McVeigh says in excerpts from a new book,
``American Terrorist: Timothy McVeigh and the Oklahoma City Bombing,'' in
the April 9 issue of Newsweek.

Instead, McVeigh says, he breathed a sigh of relief when he arrived at the
building on April 19, 1995, because no cars were sitting in front to block
his chosen parking spots. When the truck bomb exploded, it killed 168
people.

McVeigh, 32, is scheduled to be executed May 16. ``I'll be glad to leave,''
he says. ``Truth is, I determined mostly through my travels that this world
just doesn't hold anything for me.''

While being held in a federal high-security prison, McVeigh met Unabomber
Theodore Kaczynski, who told authors Lou Michel and Dan Herbeck he found
McVeigh likable, but thought the Oklahoma City bombing was ``unnecessarily
inhumane.''

In 75 hours of prison interviews, McVeigh talked to Michel and Herbeck,
reporters for The Buffalo News, about how and why he bombed the Alfred P.
Murrah Federal Building. Buffalo is near his hometown of Pendleton, N.Y.

McVeigh said he acted ``as calmly as any delivery-truck driver making a
routine drop-off,'' parking right below the tinted windows of the America's
Kids Day Care Center on the building's second floor.

Among those killed were 19 children. Michel told ABC's ``PrimeTime
Thursday'' last week that McVeigh's only regret was that their deaths proved
to be a public relations nightmare.

Authorities have said the truck contained 4,000 pounds to 4,800 pounds of
explosives, but McVeigh told the authors it was more than a ton heavier.

As he drove toward the building, McVeigh stopped to ignite a five-minute
fuse, which soon filled the cab with acrid smoke. McVeigh said he had to
roll down both windows to let some of the smoke out.

A block from the federal building, McVeigh had to stop for a traffic light,
and he lit a second fuse, one he had measured at approximately two minutes.

McVeigh told the authors that both fuses were burning when he parked the
truck and walked away.

In the next 30 seconds, he said, perhaps a dozen people saw him. He was
wearing a nondescript blue windbreaker over a T-shirt.

On the front of the shirt was a drawing of Abraham Lincoln and the Latin
phrase that John Wilkes Booth screamed after he assassinated Lincoln ‹ ``sic
semper tyrannis,'' or ``thus ever to tyrants.'' On the back was a picture of
a tree dripping blood and a quotation from Thomas Jefferson: ``The tree of
liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and
tyrants.''

McVeigh says the bomb was intended to avenge raids by federal agents at the
Branch Davidian compound at Waco, and the cabin of white separatist Randy
Weaver at Ruby Ridge, Idaho.

About 150 yards away from the building, he says, he started jogging and
wondered if something had gone wrong because, by his calculations, the bomb
should have exploded.

``Oh man, am I going to have to walk back there and shoot that damn truck?''
he thought.

Then the explosion lifted him off his feet.

He said he had no regrets, and in fact could feel anxiety leaving his body.
``It's over,'' he thought.

While being held at the federal Supermax prison in Florence, Colo., McVeigh
found that among neighboring inmates he had the most in common with
Kaczynski, who is serving life after a mail-bombing spree that killed three
people and injured 23.

At first, Kaczynski refused to speak with McVeigh because he had misgivings
about the way McVeigh had executed the bombing. However, Kaczynski
eventually believed that his fellow bomber had been demonized by false media
reports.

Kaczynski, 57, laid out his feelings about McVeigh and the bombing at
Oklahoma City in an 11-page letter to the book's authors.

``On a personal level I like McVeigh and I imagine that most people would
like him,'' Kaczynski wrote. ``He was considerate of others and knew how to
deal with people effectively.''

However, Kaczynski said ``the bombing was a bad action because it was
unnecessarily inhumane.''

http://wire.ap.org/?PACKAGEID=oklahomacitybombing