-Caveat Lector-

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 15:12:07 -0500
From: Declan McCullagh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED],
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: FC: FBI raids Seattle journalist collective, delivers gag order

This was reportedly posted on then removed from vermont.indymedia.org:
>"There is a report of FBI Officers currently located within the Seattle
>IMC demanding the location of the person who's name is the registered name
>of indymedia.org. Apparently, they have an arrest warrant for Jonathan Jay
>because of a supposed threat against President Bush on the Montreal IMC
>site. They are making threats that the IMC is not supposed to send out
>*any* emails regarding this issue, according to the warrant. However,
>this, according to the IMC lawyer, is Prior Restraint, which is
>unconstitutional. The closest story mentioning Bush on the Montreal site
>is the following: story mentioning bush Please look to
>seattle.indymedia.org as well as other sites for updates on this situation."

The name "Jonathan Jay" does indeed appear in the "whois" database:
http://www.networksolutions.com/cgi-bin/whois/whois?STRING=indymedia.org

But each Independent Media Center is a collective that includes hundreds of
loosely-affiliated journalists and activists. Holding the whois registrant
responsible for what appears on the site -- if that is what happened --
makes little sense. He may have simply donated the domain name years ago,
or may be no longer involved in the publication of the site.

Also, the gag order -- the sketchy little we know of it -- seems remarkably
broad. Why shouldn't a news organization be able to report on a raid of its
office?

Background:
http://www.cluebot.com/article.pl?sid=01/04/24/1857245

-Declan