-Caveat Lector-

----- Original Message -----
From: "YnrChyldzWyld" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2001 2:21 PM
Subject: Re: [CTRL] AIDS/HIV THE BIG SECRET

> -Caveat Lector-
>
> On Wed, 30 May 2001, MIKE SPITZER wrote:
> >Chlorinated water kills HIV in a minute or two, however, in the splash
zone
> >(wet area immediately adjacent to the edge)of hot tubs and pools, free
and
> >residual chlorine quick;y complexes with organics, thus NOT available for
> >water disinfection...thus, from what I've been led to believe, this zone
> >can be QUITE ammenable to micro-organisms such as bacteria AND HIV, i.e.,
> >can remain viable INDEFINITELY, as long as it remains hydrated.
>
> Nope.  Chlorine has nothing to do with it.  Water is made up of 2
> hydrogen molecules and one OXYGEN molecule; HIV can only survive in
> anerobic (no oxygen) conditions...

Chlorine's antiseptic properties rely on the fact that it is an oxidising
agent
it soaks up oxygen - so if it binds with complexes - it is not going to kill
some microbes.
Water May WEllbe made up of H20 ie, has an oxyxen atom - but ALL
microorganisms whether aerobic or anaerobic flourish in water
which is a neutral electrolyte.

I have to agree with mike - and saying that water is only an aerobic medium
is
not scientific in this case June.

andrew