-Caveat Lector-

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nessie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2001 7:21 PM
Subject: Re: [CTRL] AIDS/HIV THE BIG SECRET

-Caveat Lector-

>NOT TRUE!!!!!!!!!!! It can stay alive on an open surface (like the
counter in a dentist office) for many hours.

And the proof of this is?

Chlorinated water kills HIV in a minute or two, however, in the splash zone
(wet area immediately adjacent to the edge)of hot tubs and pools, free and
residual chlorine quick;y complexes with organics, thus NOT available for
water disinfection...thus, from what I've been led to believe, this zone
can be QUITE ammenable to micro-organisms such as bacteria AND HIV, i.e.,
can remain viable INDEFINITELY, as long as it remains hydrated.

It has been known for well over a decade that HIV becomes nonviable, and
thus non-infecting, when the virus is dehydrayed for a mere 30 SECONDS.

In other words, HIV "dies" (irrevocably denatures) within 30 seconds from
the time that a drop of aqueus solution containing [even HIGH numbers of]
the virus hits a dry surface and the water evaporates.  And, this is not
EVEN really "dehydration," because all the water is not really gone
all-the-way.  In this scenario, technically, total evaporation leaves at
least SOME water molecules with the virus, so the virus is technically NOT
totally dehydrated or anhydrous...even in this "slightly hydrated" state,
the virus still becomes TOTALLY unviable within 30 seconds of the drop of
HIV containing water evaporating.

All this considered, the above dentist office scenario is unlikey TO SAY
THE LEAST.

HOWEVER, since we are talking about such a grave outcome IF the above is
wrong by a few minutes....well, I can understand why good safety protocol
in a dentist office, etc., would conservatively err on the side of several
HOURS, instead of the more accurate reality I spelled out above.

Hell, if it were me in a possible vector spreading situation, well....I
would probably go by a rule like:  if there is/was even a possibility that
ANY of the virus was at a certain local, then I SAY it should be treated as
if IT STILL IS, and will be FOREVER!

Better safe than sorry, right?

                      Kadosh, Kadosh, Kadosh, YHVH, TZEVAOT

          FROM THE DESK OF:

                    *Michael Spitzer*    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>