Well while the cowardly Clinton dug tunnels and shelters for our public
servanats in the event of an attack from China and/or Russia -  George
W. Bush has in mind a shield to protect the people of this great
country.

He took the oath to support the Constitution of the United States, which
mandates the government to provide for the common defense.....

Speak softly, and carry big stick - words of Teddy Roosevelt; however,
look at that scared bunch in the EU - my goodness, a handful of people
and they want to call in the storm troopers and prepare for another Waco
attack?

Take away our guns?   You got to be kidding - come to Cincinnati, Ohio
and see the war zone.......and remember Jesse Jackson threatning to
loose the savages in the streets if he does not get his way.

So Hail to our Chief.......who the hell wants a world leader - we need a
President of the United States.

Saba

U.S. to proceed on missile plan
Rice: Time to move
past '72 ABM treatyJune 17 — National Security Adviser Condoleezza
Rice defends U.S. plan to pursue a missile defense.
MSNBC STAFF AND WIRE REPORTS
WASHINGTON, June 17 —  While the United States would like to move
forward on its missile defense plan with Russia's blessing, the Bush
administration will proceed without it, National Security Adviser
Condoleezza Rice said Sunday. Rice said the United States would also
likely abandon the 1972 Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty — a landmark
arms control agreement with Russia — to make it happen. "The United
States has made it clear that it's time to move on to a new era," Rice
said on NBC's "Meet the Press."

  Do you support the United States moving forward on its missile
defense plan without Russia's blessing? Yes No
Vote to see results

       RICE SAID the ABM treaty — the cornerstone of national
security between the two nations — belongs to a different era, an era
of great hostility between the two nations.
       "It makes no sense that a treaty in 1972 reflect the
state of U.S.-Russia relations," she said.
       While others have argued that the treaty has served both
nations well in avoiding war for the past 29 years, Rice said she doubts
that the treaty is what is keeping the countries from fighting.
       "I dare anybody to say that what keeps Russia and the
United States from going to war is the ABM treaty," she said. "That
simply doesn't make any sense."
       Rice said it was unclear when the United States would end
the treaty, but Secretary of State Colin Powell said on another TV show
Sunday that it would happen when the curbs on missile defense were
blocking U.S. technology.
       "We cannot allow its constraints" to bind U.S.
technology, he said on ABC's "This Week."
       Powell, too, said the United States was going to move
forward for its plan to shield against a missile attack.
       Russian President Vladimir Putin, who is opposed to the
missile defense idea, said the ABM treaty banning such missile defense
plans is the "cornerstone of the modern architecture of international
security." He has warned the United States that if it proceeded on its
own, that would only complicate U.S.-Russian relations.

       Throughout his six-day trip to Europe last week,
President Bush said he wanted to make the case to Putin that such a
shield is not designed to give Washington a strategic superiority over
Moscow, but rather to protect against "blackmail" from rogue states.

BOTTOM LINE FOR U.S.
       Rice said the bottom line is that the United States needs
to do what is in its best interest.
 Bush visits Europe
•Latest news  •EU firms up expansion  •WashPost: Russia, U.S. at
odds on Iran deal  •Newsweek: Lessons  •Newsweek: Europe
•Russia's media wars
       "Ultimately, we have to do what is in the interest of
peace and security and what's in the interest of the protection of
American forces and allies," she said. "But we have every reason to
believe we are bringing people along with us."
       She said the United States is prepared to move forward
with its plan in a "cooperative way."
       Rice said that no one knows how much such a system would
cost but that Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld had planned for the
estimated costs this year of developing and testing the system in this
year's budget — $2 billion to $3 billion. When asked if the eventual
costs could hit $100 billion, she said there was no way of knowing.

NATO, IRAN
       On another topic, Powell noted that Russia was not among
the nine countries now officially aspiring to join the North Atlantic
Treaty Organization. NATO last expanded in 1999 to include the first
members of the former Warsaw Pact — the Czech Republic, Hungary and
Poland.
        Russia has opposed expanding NATO to include several
former Soviet satellites, including the Baltic states, which it says
would bring the Western security alliance to Russia's borders.
       Echoing the message pushed by Bush, Powell said expansion
would pose no threat to Moscow, asserting the three new alliance members
now enjoy better relations with Russia.
       "All of them have better relations with Russia now than
they did before they became members of NATO," Powell said.
       Powell also said that the United States and Russia would
hold talks on "tracking down" Russian companies and scientists who are
assisting Iran develop weapons.
       "Russia should see it is more in their interest than
ours" to stop weapons proliferation, Powell said.
       One way to accomplish that, he said, is to step up
programs designed to give Russian scientists an incentive to remain at
home. "We can do more," Powell said, without providing any details.
       "We have to keep talking to them about this to make sure
we are of a unified mind," he said.

TWO LEADERS MEET
       Bush and Putin met for two hours Saturday in the
Slovenian capital, Ljubljana, to discuss weapons proliferation, NATO
expansion and hot spots like the Middle East and the Balkans.
       In a joint news conference after their first encounter,
each man had broad praise for the other and expressed satisfaction with
the meeting's outcome.
       "Our countries have common interests, and we share great
responsibilities," Bush said. "I am convinced that he and I can build a
relationship of mutual respect and candor. ... It is time to move beyond
suspicion and toward straight talk, beyond mutually assured
destruction."
       Bush called Putin a family man and a patriot. "I was able
to get a sense of his soul," he told reporters as he closed his first
overseas trip and returned to Washington on Saturday night.
       Putin was equally upbeat about the first encounter. "I
think that we found a good basis to start building on our cooperation,"
he said. "We're counting on a pragmatic relationship between Russia and
the United States."
       Bush announced plans for Putin to visit the United States
in the fall and said he would also be visiting Russia soon. He said
Putin had invited him to his own home, and he invited the Russian leader
for a visit to his ranch in Crawford, Texas.
       "I wouldn't have invited him to my ranch if I didn't
trust him," Bush said.
       "Can I trust him?" he added later. "I can."
       On Friday, administration officials announced that Bush
will visit Europe for a second time next month, traveling to Genoa,
Italy, to attend the G-7/8 summit July 20-22. He is expected to meet
again with Putin there.

       MSNBC.com's Bobbi Nodell, The Associated Press and
Reuters contributed to this report.

 U.S. to proceed on missile plan Lott says he could back suing
HMOs WashPost: Democrats target Bush team ethics WP: FBI candidate's
role in case faulted Sen. Bayh opts against 2004 run MSNBC Cover
Page

 MSNBC VIEWER'S TOP 10  Would you recommend this story to other
viewers?
not at all   1    -   2  -   3  -
  4  -   5  -   6  -   7   highly

 MSNBC is optimized for
• Microsoft Internet Explorer
• Windows Media Player
• MSNBC Terms, Conditions and Privacy © 2001

Cover | News | Business | Sports | Local News | Health | Technology |
Living & Travel
TV News | Opinions | Weather | ComicsInformation Center | Help | News
Tools | Write Us | Terms & Conditions & Privacy

http://www.msnbc.com/news/585107.asp?cp1=1