   Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 16:17:20 EDT
   From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: HELLO COMRADES -- ALGERIA MEETING -- Antiimperialist Camp News

Subj:    Open Letter to 15th World Festival in Algeria
Date:   6/20/2001 8:39:18 AM Pacific Daylight Time
From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Open letter to the International Preparatory Committee of the 15th World
Festival of Youth and Students in Algeria

Dear comrades,

Please accept our fraternal greetings to you and all the participants of the
forthcoming international festival. We welcome the festival as one
expression
of the struggle against imperialism which is suffocating the peoples of the
world and even threatening the very existence of humanity. In order to
defeat
our common enemy all the anti-imperialist forces around the world must
co-operate and strive to join hands in this struggle for life and death.
This
is why we propose that we mutually exchange delegation between the World
Festival, August 8-16, and the Anti-imperialist Camp, Assisi, July 28-August
5.

However, we have some burning questions regarding the most urgent
necessities
of the global anti-imperialist struggle:

Why have you chosen Algeria as the place to meet? You must have been aware
of
the civil war raging in this tortured county since one decade during which
the regime has proved to be a "model pupil of the IMF"? (as your German
preparatory committee admits it openly; see
http://weltfestspiele.online.de/kabylei1.html, May 29, 2001) You refer to
the
glorious Algerian liberation struggle but these times have definitely gone.
Already in 1988 the Algerian youth has been protesting against the austerity
programme imposed on them by the regime servile to imperialism and was
crushed violently. Non of the popular demands have been met and in the early
90ies a military dictatorship has been erected in order to keep the
pro-Western regime in power against the free will of the overwhelming
majority of the population. And why you keep insisting in this emergency
situation? Today the regime is about to repress another legitimate social
rebellion blaming it to be separatist. But this is simply a pretext as the
movement in Kabylia has met strong echo in the poor arabophone youth and has
explicitly stated to defend the national unity of Algeria as a gain of the
liberation struggle. Do you really think that an anti-imperialist gathering
can take the support of such a regime and thus support it politically?

And what about the solidarity with the Palestinian people? Their new
Intifada
is a cry for international solidarity. With no word you mention the
necessity
to stop the Zionist massacre and that all democratic and peace-loving forces
of the world urgently have to rally behind this sorely afflicted people to
defend their most elementary human right against the Israeli and Western
"humanitarian" crusaders: the right of self-determination.

We also have to insist on the solidarity with the Colombian people. One of
the most powerful popular movements of the world is defending itself in arms
against a cruel war unleashed by the narco-oligarchy backed by US
imperialism. Millions have lost their land and have been displaced, tens of
thousands of militant peasants and workers have been killed by the death
squads. With the Plan Colombia imperialism is stepping up its aggression.
Therefore we have to take immediate action.

We hope that you will consider our suggestions and will choose a different
place for the festival. We would be happy if we could reach commitments for
common action not only referring to the solidarity with the most outstanding
anti-imperialist struggles but also for a more general and systematic
co-operation which should be the concrete outcome of our  international
gatherings.

With the most fraternal anti-imperialist greetings
The political committee of the anti-imperialist camp
June 19, 2001

Antiimperialist Camp
PF 23, A-1040 Vienna, Austria
Tel&Fax +43 1 504 00 10
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.antiimperialista.com/en
Ca

mp_News&[EMAIL PROTECTED]&p=16645
Click the link, or copy and paste the address into your browser.