-Caveat Lector-

In a message dated 07/12/2001 11:39:10 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< Either this kid was unbelievable stupid, or he deliberately wanted to
 provoke something...he knew about the zero-tolerance policy and deliberately
 chose to break it, when complying would not have adversely affected his
 costume in the least, since the knife could not normally be seen.

 Which brings up the 2nd point...choosing to deliberately flaunt the
 zero-tolerance policy, Mr. Hix then did not leave well enough alone, and
 must have taken the knife out for some reason at the dance, because it could
 not otherwise be seen. >>

Yeah, but it still boggles my mind.  I can remember when every fourth and
fifth grader's dream was to own hightops.  These were a heavy leather boot
that reached almost to the knee.  A factor of each pair was a large jackknife
that had its own leather pouch sewn right into the boot.  Our boy scouts
(those who came in uniform due to some special occasion always had their boy
scout knife on them.  Boys did occasionally play a game called mumbly peg on
the school grounds before school started.  Otherwise the knives were much
admired, and almost never seen open, because no one wanted anyone else's
dirty fingers on his precious knife.  To my knowledge no child in this area
was ever injured by one of these knives in all the years I attended school.
Apparently we have become a nation of idiots who cannot carry any weapons
anywhere for fear of sudden transmutation into mass killers.  Even our french
fries have become lethal.  No one has mentioned it yet, but our restaurants
should start serving meat cut into bite sized pieces so customers to not have
to handle knives, and the chef who cuts the meat for them should be under
armed guard at all times.  One never knows when one of these guys will pop.
Prudy