Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

Condit 'aces' intern lie test: Cops: Polygraph was 'self-serving'
by Mike Saucier

Saturday, July 14, 2001

A defiant lawyer for Rep. Gary Condit tried to get the upper hand in the
Chandra Levy case yesterday by announcing that he has given his client a
lie-detector test, blindsiding investigators who called the move
``self-serving.''

The test, Condit lawyer Abbe Lowell said, shows Condit ``was not deceptive in
any way'' in denying knowledge of what happened to the missing intern.

But Assistant Police Chief Terrance Gainer called the test ``self-serving.''
He said Lowell did not work with police to come up with questions nor agree
on an expert to administer the test.

The test was given by Barry D. Colvert, a polygraph expert who Lowell said
teaches FBI officials how to administer the tests. Lowell did not detail all
the questions asked, but said Condit was deemed to have answered truthfully
when he said ``no'' to the three most important ones:

Did he have anything at all to do with Miss Levy's disappearance?

Did he harm her or cause anyone else to harm her in any way?

Does he know where she can be located?

Washington police wanted Condit to submit to a test given by someone from the
FBI and with questions they supplied. That appears unlikely at the moment,
Gainer said.

``The technology and the subjective and objective things that go into a
polygraph aren't answered by him having a press conference and, frankly, my
responding to that,'' Gainer said. ``I am happy that he says he is going to
give (results) to the Metropolitan Police and the FBI, and we'll examine that
. . . but again, that's not normal techniques.''

Lowell declined to provide any more details about the California
congressman's relationship with Levy, 24, of Modesto, Calif., last seen April
30, including when he last saw and spoke to her.

A police source has said the congressman acknowledged a romantic relationship
with the intern, despite denials from his office.

In other tumbling developments yesterday:

Rep. Bob Barr (R-Ga.) became the first member of Congress to call on Condit
to resign, charging his House colleague has ``obstructed an ongoing police
investigation.''

Police distributed computer-generated pictures of Levy designed to show how
she would look if she had altered her appearance.

Gainer also told reporters that investigators have not ruled out the
possibility that Levy is still alive and may have wandered off or purposely
disappeared. At the same time, he said it is possible she is dead.

The young woman's mother, Susan Levy, said she strongly doubted her daughter
would commit suicide or become despondent over the possible breakup of her
relationship with Condit.

``I don't think she would harm herself. I have given her the reality of how
valued life is,'' Susan Levy said in a taping for the ``America's Most
Wanted'' television show scheduled to air tonight. ``I think she could have
been saddened, but she would go on because she knew she had a future.''

Gainer said police have no knowledge that Levy was pregnant when she vanished.

Susan Levy, whose California home is under surveillance by local sheriff's
deputies, has said it is important for Condit to be forthcoming. ``I'm not
out to hurt anybody's political causes or anything like that. I am just - my
husband and I - are just, we're parents who want our daughter home,'' she
said.

Staffers for Condit reportedly have said their boss denies having a
relationship with the daughter of a Pentecostal minister in Modesto. The
minister, Otis Thomas, has told the FBI, as well as the Washington Post, that
his daughter had an affair with Condit beginning when she was 18 or 19.
Condit's chief of staff, Mike Lynch, said Condit has denied having any
relationship with Thomas' daughter.

The woman herself has also apparently denied her father's story. A note was
posted at her home, signed ``Jennifer Thomas,'' saying she did not know
anything about what her father said and had no relationship with the
congressman.

Flight attendant Anne Marie Smith, who claims she had an affair with Condit,
said she had several conversations with him after the intern vanished. She
wrote his comments in a journal, which she shared with federal investigators,
the New York Daily News reported.