-Caveat Lector-

SECRECY NEWS
from the FAS Project on Government Secrecy
July 24, 2001

INDONESIA AND CIA PORNOGRAPHY

"The people of Indonesia, by addressing their leadership crisis under their
Constitution and laws, have shown commitment to the rule of law and
democracy," said President George W. Bush yesterday, referring to the
inauguration of Mrs. Megawati Sukarnoputri as the new Indonesian president.

But in the 1950s, the Central Intelligence Agency showed somewhat less
commitment to Indonesian law and democracy when it attempted to undermine
the regime of Mrs. Megawati's father, President Sukarno, who was deemed
pro-Communist.

As one memorable part of its campaign, the CIA produced a pornographic film
intended to discredit the Indonesian President in the eyes of his people.

The story of the CIA porno film is told in "Portrait of a Cold Warrior,"
the 1976 memoir of CIA officer Joseph Burkholder Smith (pp. 239ff).

Based on reports that President Sukarno had been seen in the company of a
Soviet stewardess, Smith wrote, "our special Sukarno committee was formed
to accomplish ... the production of a film, or at least some still photos,
[purportedly] showing Sukarno and his Russian girlfriend engaged in his
favorite activity."

"Exploiting Sukarno's sexual appetite in this way was a tricky theme.  His
conquests didn't disturb Indonesians too much.... However, what we were
saying was that a woman had gotten the better of Sukarno.  Being tricked,
deceived, or otherwise outsmarted by one of the creatures God has provided
for man's pleasure cannot be condoned," as the CIA understood Indonesian
culture.

"Also," Smith continued, "we were interested in the impact of this theme
outside Indonesia, for our purpose was to present Sukarno in as unfavorable
and unsympathetic light as possible.  If he were deposed by our friends the
colonels, we wanted the world to agree with us that Indonesia would be
better off."

First, the CIA attempted to find a Sukarno lookalike in the existing
repertoire of pornographic films.  "Los Angeles's supply of blue films
suited our purpose, we thought, because they included dark male subjects
... who might be made to look like Sukarno with a little touching up."

When that didn't work out, "we decided that we would try to develop a
full-face mask of Sukarno.  We planned to ship this out to Los Angeles and
ask the police to pay some blue film star to wear it during his big scene."

Smith writes that in the end, he "never tried" to make use of the product
of CIA's secret pornography initiative.  But author John Ranelagh reports
in his book "The Agency" that the resulting anti-Sukarno porno film was
entitled "Happy Days," and that "still photographs were taken for
distribution in the Far East."

Despite the CIA's efforts, Sukarno remained in power until 1966, when he
was deposed by Suharto.  A volume of the official "Foreign Relations of the
United States" series on Indonesia, 1964-1968, is scheduled for publication
in September.

A different sort of CIA venture into pornography was to be found in the
February 1997 issue of Playboy magazine, in which a CIA employee identified
as Jayne Hayden posed in various stages of undress.  CIA spokesman Mark
Mansfield confirmed to the Washington Times (1/18/97) that Ms. Hayden had
in fact been a CIA employee until the previous year.  He complained that
she had failed to submit her materials for pre-publication review.

Steven Aftergood
Project on Government Secrecy
Federation of American Scientists
http://www.fas.org/sgp/index.html