THE LINDESMITH CENTER - DRUG POLICY FOUNDATION
http://www.drugpolicy.org
...on the web

   Action Alert: Monday, September 10, 2001

<< Instructions for un/subscribing to this
   Listserv are at the end of this posting >>

HELP STOP THE WAR ON DRUGS BY:
1) FORWARDING THIS NEWSLETTER TO YOUR FRIENDS AND
   COLLEAGUES.
2) JOIN THE MOVEMENT TO CHANGE OUR DRUG POLICIES.
   Find out how at: http://www.drugpolicy.org/membership

* JOHN WALTER'S NOMINATION HEARING TOMORROW*

Last week we asked you to go to http://www.ccldp.org
and fax your Senators about John Walters, Bush's
proposed drug czar. That campaign has been a big
success - over 1,500 faxes were sent to 94
Senators. Thanks for your support.  You are
making a difference!

Now, we ask that you call your Senators on the
Senate Judiciary Committee (see below) and tell
them to VOTE AGAINST JOHN WALTERS AS DRUG CZAR.
We need you to call BEFORE tomorrow at Tuesday,
September 11, 11:00a.m. Eastern Time.

ACTIONS TO TAKE

-- If your Senators are on the Senate Judiciary
   Committee (see below), call their offices
   today and tell them to VOTE AGAINST JOHN
   WALTERS AS DRUG CZAR. Please keep your calls
   short so that others can get through. Every
   phone call counts and we need to put pressure
   on Committee members right away. PLEASE DON'T
   CALL AFTER TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 11, 11:00A.M.
   Eastern Time.

-- Forward this e-mail to as many friends, family
   members, and co-workers as possible. Ask them
   to read it and take action.

-- Go to our web site, http://www.drugpolicy.org,
   on Wednesday to find out how the confirmation
   hearing went. We will keep you updated.

SENATOR CONTACT INFORMATION:
Senate Judiciary Committee

Alabama: Jeff Sessions (R) - tel: 202-224-4124
Arizona: Jon Kyl (R) - tel: 202-224-4521
California: Dianne Feinstein (D) - tel: 202-224-3841
Delaware: Joseph Biden (D) - tel: 202-224-5042
Kansas: Sam Brownback - tel: 202-224-6521
Kentucky: Mitch McConnell - tel: 202-224-2541
Illinois: Richard Durbin - tel: 202-224-2152
Iowa: Charles Grassley (R) - tel: 202-224-3744
Massachusetts: Edward Kennedy (D) - tel: 202-224-4543
New York: Charles Schumer (D) - tel: 202-224-6542
North Carolina: John Edwards - tel: 202-224-3154
Ohio: Mike DeWine (R) - tel: 202-224-2315
Pennsylvania: Arlen Specter (R) - tel: 202-224-4254
South Carolina: Strom Thurmond (R) - tel: 202-224-4944
Utah: Orrin Hatch (R) - tel: 202-224-5251
Vermont: Patrick Leahy (D), Chairman - tel: 202-224-4242
Washington: Maria Cantwell - tel: 202-224-3441
Wisconsin: Herb Kohl (D) - tel: 202-224-5653
Wisconsin: Russell Feingold (D) - tel: 202-224-5323

BACKGROUND:

President Bush has nominated a Bill Bennett protégé,
John Walters, to be our nation's next drug czar.
Walters is an ardent drug warrior who supports harsh
sentences for non-violent drug offenders, opposes
meaningful drug treatment programs, and denies that
racial disparities exist in the criminal justice
system. The Senate Judiciary Committee begins his
confirmation hearing tomorrow. We need you to call
your Senators on the Judiciary Committee today and
tell them to vote against Walters. (The Senate
Judiciary Committee won't vote on Walters for at
least another week, but Senators need to hear your
thoughts before Walters testifies tomorrow.) Every
call makes a difference, make your voice heard!!!

WHY WALTERS SHOULD NOT BE DRUG CZAR

-- He opposes reforming mandatory minimums and
   eliminating the crack/powder cocaine sentencing
   disparity.
-- Even former drug czar Barry McCaffrey has
   expressed concern about Walters' priorities being
   heavily skewed against treatment and prevention,
   saying that Walters is "focused too much on
   interdiction" and "needs to educate himself on
   prevention and treatment."
-- Walters has not expressed support for reexamining
   racial disparities in the criminal justice system.
   He has very recently dismissed concerns about the
   fairness of the system almost out of hand.  In his
   words, "What really drives the battle against law
   enforcement and punishment, however, is not a
   commitment to treatment, but the widely held view
   that (1) we are imprisoning too many people for
   merely possessing illegal drugs, (2) drug and
   other criminal sentences are too long and harsh,
   and (3) the criminal justice system is unjustly
   punishing young black men.  These are among the
   great urban myths of our time."

                     ########

You have received this message from The Lindesmith
Center - Drug Policy Foundation
( http://www.drugpolicy.org ) because you are
signed on to one of our Listservs.

If you are interested in receiving messages
on other topics, please visit:
http://www.lindesmith.org/listserve.html

If you do not want to receive further emails, send
a message to mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] and
type "unsubscribe stopthewar" in the body of the
message, (no quotes and not in the subject line).
If you are subscribed to more than one Lindesmith-
DPF list and wish to sign-off all of them, type
"unsubscribe *" in the body of the message.

Alternately, please contact Jeanette Irwin at:
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

To re-subscribe send a message to
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] and type "subscribe
stopthewar" in the body of the message.

If you are not yet a member of the Lindesmith-DPF,
please consider joining:
http://www.drugpolicy.org/membership