Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 18:31:04 -0400
Subject: The CIA and Bin Laden; The Roots of Jihad; and more...
From: The Atlantic Online <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: undisclosed-recipients:;

TransAtlantic | The Atlantic Online | http://www.theatlantic.com

September 14, 2001

+ In ATLANTIC UNBOUND, The Atlantic's online journal...

Sage, Ink
WE THE PEOPLE
Sep 14 | A cartoon by Sage Stossel
http://www.theatlantic.com/unbound/sage/ss2001-09-14.htm

Flashbacks
COMING TO GRIPS WITH JIHAD
SEP 12 | "As investigators attempt to trace yesterday's devastating
terrorist acts to their source, attention seems increasingly to be focusing
on Osama bin Laden and his militant followers--Islamic fundamentalists
who consider themselves engaged in a 'jihad' against the Western
world." What are the roots of Islamic fundamentalist rage against the
U.S.? How did Afghanistan become a hotbed of international terrorists?
Atlantic articles by Bernard Lewis, Robert Kaplan, and Mary Anne Weaver
look at the origins and consequences of jihad.
http://www.theatlantic.com/unbound/flashbks/jihad.htm

THE TRIUMPH OF TERRORISM
SEP 11 | Who could have perpetrated Tuesday's attacks--and why? Atlantic
articles by Conor Cruise O'Brien, Mary Anne Weaver, Reuel Marc Gerecht, and
Mark Edington give insight into the terrorist mind--and how the U.S. may
have both inflamed and encouraged terrorist groups.
http://www.theatlantic.com/unbound/flashbks/terrorism.htm

The New School: The Leader in Adult Education in New York and Online

Click here for our 1500 Fall classes in the Social Sciences, Humanities,
Communication and Film, Languages, English, Writing, Art, Photography, and
more...
http://65.108.7.187/newsletter/tns_atlantic_091401.html
tornado, a fire, a blizzard, a flood, or some other interruption to
business strikes." Jack El-Hai reports on the growing phenomenon of
"workplace-recovery centers"--fully equipped but empty office space
reserved by many corporations for the moment when disaster strikes.
http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/2000/08/elhai.htm

THE ADVANTAGES OF DEFEAT (September 1861)
140 YEARS AGO IN THE ATLANTIC
Sep 13 | "Our defeat at Bull Run was in no true sense a disaster; we
not only deserved it, but needed it. It should give us new confidence
in our cause, in our strength, in our final success." Soon after the
start of the Civil War, Charles Eliot Norton urged the Union Army to
toughen its resolve.
http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/1861sep/defeat.htm

+ In D.C. DISPATCH | from National Journal

Media
THE BUST THAT BORES
by William Powers
Sep 11 | The high-tech bust isn't gripping news because, in part, the key
characters are pretty boring.
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/nj/powers2001-09-11.htm

Legal Affairs
CENSORING 'ISSUE ADS': A DIRECT ASSAULT ON FREE SPEECH
by Stuart Taylor Jr.
Sep 11 | A greater affront to the ideal of protecting robust criticism of
government could scarcely be imagined.
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/nj/taylor2001-09-11.htm

Political Pulse
WHO SURVIVES A POLITICAL SCANDAL
by William Schneider
Sep 11 | Come clean right away, and all will be forgive. Eventually.
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/nj/schneider2001-09-11.htm

On Books
ABOUT BUSH'S LAST 5 VOTES
by David G. Savage
Sep 11 | We wuz robbed-or were we? A review of books by Richard A. Posner
and Alan M. Dershowitz on the Supreme Court's extraordinary-and, among some
Democrats, still snarl-producing *Bush v. Gore* ruling.
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/nj/books2001-09-11.htm

+ In POST & RIPOSTE | Forum Highlights

Tuesday's Tragedy
http://forum.theatlantic.com/WebX?.ee712c3
Have yesterday's events permanently changed life in America? How
should the nation respond?

Could we have prevented these attacks?
http://forum.theatlantic.com/WebX?.ee712fa
Should the U.S. have taken a more decisive stand against terrorism
and Osama bin Laden in the past?

Bystanders to Genocide
http://forum.theatlantic.com/WebX?.ee70f6a
Was the United States's inaction during the Rwandan genocide
indefensible? What should be done differently the next time the
United States faces a humanitarian crisis abroad?

...... and much more.
http://www.theatlantic.com/pr/

THE ATLANTIC MONTHLY EDUCATION PROGRAM
Teachers, put The Atlantic's quality to work in your classroom with
our new Education Program. Affordable rates, FREE Teacher's Guide, and
FREE instructor's copy with each qualifying order. Please visit
http://www.theatlantic.com/teach/ for details or call toll-free (877)
299-8577.

If you would like help or more information, send a message to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] with the word HELP in the BODY of the e-mail.

===
If you don't have time for the preservation of Freedom,
how can you possibly imagine you are free?
===

   SheWhoRemembers
 Freedom Justice Peace
  http://geocities.com/sheremembers

Audio Feed for Thought:
  http:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/swr.ram

Join List: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

SWR sponsor: http://rovin.net/?SWR
Rovin'Net delivers superb internet access
with personal attention, privacy, and integrity.
===

---------------
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107,
this material is posted withthout profit or payment
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.
--------------

Abusing drugs is not a crime, abusing drug users is.

~~~

After 30 years of daily use, the most irresponsible thing
drugs ever caused me to do is call for their legalization.

~~~

"The prestige of government has undoubtedly been
lowered considerably by the Prohibition law. For nothing is more
destructive of respect for the government and the law of the land
than passing laws which cannot be enforced. It is an open secret
that the dangerous increase of crime in this country is closely
connected with this." ~~ Albert Einstein on Prohibition, 1921

<FONT COLOR="#000099">FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!
</FONT><A HREF="http://us.click.yahoo.com/47cccB/4m7CAA/ySSFAA/xYTolB/TM";><B>Click
Here!</B></A>