-Caveat Lector-

  This report says O'Neill took the job earlier this year.  CNN's version
quotes the NYC Police Commissioner as saying September 11th would have been
O'Neill's first or second day at the job.  Another version says O'Neill was
hired for the job in August.  I have a question....

  Assuming all security personnel within the WTC complex are in radio
contact, would the decision to command employees (over the loudspeaker
system) to remain at their desks have come from the head of security?

  An interesting piece of info:

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/special/terror/aftermath/1058676

Last month, FBI sources confirmed that O'Neill was under investigation after
he left a briefcase containing classified information unattended in a hotel
in Tampa, Fla., last year. The briefcase, which was recovered and returned to
O'Neill, contained several documents that included a report outlining
virtually every national security operation in New York.
------------
  Other info:

http://www.barnesreview.org/j/1996/7/TBR2.html

July 1996 editorial:
[snip]
Last April 28 The Washington Times ran prominently (thereby gaining more
neoconservative points) an ominous story on terrorist potential within the
United States. It reported that Islamic radicals “pose new terrorist dangers
Ameri cans” and have “become the top priority of FBI counter-terrorism
agents.” FBI counter-terrorism section chief John P. O’Neill said Islamic
radicals (who have poured across our porous borders in recent decades) form
“the greatest threat coming to us domestically."

O’Neill said those involved in the bombing of New York’s World Trade Center
were from Egypt, Pakistan, Ku wait and Iraq as well as from Islamic elements
in this country. These people are well “networked” and consider the United
States one of their “theaters of war.” O’Neill warns: “These people are
characterized as free moving (largely financed by rackets and scams they
operate here) . . . They can quickly assemble and quickly disperse, and they
are extraordinarily hard to track.”
----------

>From a speech:  http://www.nationalstrategy.com/speakers/oneill.html

Excerpts from the Speech of
JOHN P. O'NEILL
Chief, International Terrorism Operations
Federal Bureau of Investigation.
Presented at the National Strategy Forum on June 11, 1997

"...Law enforcement as most of you have seen in the last five years come out
and law enforcement officials talked about that street crime cannot be dealt
with just as a law enforcement problem. We need community policing. We need
neighborhood watches. We need the activism to help us combat street crime.
And it's pretty much the same way with acts of terrorism. We need to
strengthen those soft targets as we investigate groups and individuals whom
they try to attack us or attack our citizens. We also need to take a look at
those logical places where terrorists may attack and try to strengthen them. "

"...And that's much the same mindset in terms of terrorists picking their
targets. So we can marry the public and the private sector together in terms
of corporate security concerns. You know those places that are logical places
for terrorists to hit, we like to do that marrying there. The other job is
pretty simple to see, a little bit more difficult to carry out, and our job
is relatively simple. It's to prevent acts of terrorism occurring against
Americans in the United States and in those situations where an act has
occurred have a massive response to be able to catch those people that are
involved in the event and stop the -- that word terror, and the terrorists
from sometimes stalling the American way of life. "
----------
Samantha

In a message dated 9/23/01 8:03:41 PM Central Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> While with the FBI, O'Neill headed investigations of the deadly attacks on
>  U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania in 1998 and the bombing last year of
> the
>  USS Cole in Yemen. That attack, also a suicide bombing, is thought to be
> tied
>  to Osama bin Laden, whom top U.S. officials have tied to last week's
attacks.

screeds are unwelcomed. Substancenot soap-boxingplease!  These are
sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'with its many half-truths, mis-
directions and outright fraudsis used politically by different groups with