-Caveat Lector-

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Samantha L. wrote:
>  This report says O'Neill took the job earlier this year.  CNN's version
>quotes the NYC Police Commissioner as saying September 11th would have been
>O'Neill's first or second day at the job.  Another version says O'Neill was
>hired for the job in August.

Considering that these attacks had to have been planned for YEARS, even
if O'Neill 'took the job earlier this year', the timing seems a tad
coincidental for someone with such an extensive background in bin Laden
alleged terrorist events to take on the job of WTC security...

I also keep remembering reports from people who escaped the WTC regarding
security STOPPING people evacuating the towers after they were hit -- in
some cases people reported security coming over the building intercom
within a few minutes, telling everyone to return to their offices; in at
least 2 other separate reports, survivors reported a person actually came
and told them NOT to evacuate, and in one case they were herded from the
stairwell they were walking down to an empty room on the 14th floor that
'just happened' to have a TV on showing news reports of the attacks...

These people only survived because they IGNORED the advice/order to
remain where they were, and they decided to continue evacuating...

Meanwhile, according to Rudolph Guliani's account, he was attempting to
set up a base whereby he could communicate to people in the WTC that they
should evacuate immediately...and yet for some reason the WTC security
was instructing the WTC to do just the opposite...

>  Assuming all security personnel within the WTC complex are in radio
>contact, would the decision to command employees (over the loudspeaker
>system) to remain at their desks have come from the head of security?

I've worked as a security guard in the past, so I have some knowledge in
this matter.

I assume that the rank-and-file security force at the WTC was probably
private security; the WTC used to be owned by the Port Authority of NYC,
so security was presumably under their office; but the building was
recently sold to a private firm, so presumably security also became a
private affair at that time...

In either case, there would have (or should have) been a standard
emergencies procedures manual for the security staff, and especially
after the 1993 attack there should have been procedures established for a
bomb/explosion, definitely procedures for a major fire.

Keep in mind that at that time of day especially, a 'security guard' is
little more than a receptionist with a uniform; keep in mind that these
men and women are paid little more than minimum wage and get minimal, if
any, training (presuming it was a private security company handling
security at the WTC; even if the guards were direct employees of WTC,
their pay and training wouldn't have been all that different from
contract private security firms').

They probably didn't even have radios (in my experience it was a very
rare occurance to have radios assigned, and when they were they usually
had dead batteries), but instead the guards were expected to call in
reports via a standard phone at their station (I once was assigned to a
post where there was neither phone nor radio, and no explanation as to
what I was expected to do if there was an 'incident') -- phones which
probably didn't work after the planes hit...so any guard on the lower
levels of Tower One probably had a problem calling in the incident at
approx. 8:48 when the first plane hit...it would have been up to each
guard to make a judgement call as to what to do.  This would have been
especially true in the second tower before it was hit -- over there,
there was almost 15 minutes elapsed before the 2nd plane hit...time where
many many people could have been evacuated had it been commenced
immediately...

Quite frankly, based on my own experience, most of the guards probably
decided to save their own butts.  If I'd been working as a guard there
(especially in the 2nd tower), I would have stayed at my post as long as
possible, but I definitely would have instructed the occupants on the
floors I was responsible for to evacuate as soon as possible -- my
individual judgement call would have been that it would have been better
to get everyone out and then discover it was possibly a relatively minor
incident, rather than keep people inside and then discover it was too
late to get out...

But that would have been my individual call...

The only way I would have gotten on an intercom and told people to return
to their offices, or stand in a stairwell and physically stop people from
evacuating, would have been if I had been specifically instructed to do
so...and that decision would have to have come from higher up.

Quite frankly, I would have made the intercom announcement under protest,
and under no circumstances would I have agreed to STOP people already in
the process of evacuating the building.  In fact, I would have done the
exact opposite, I would have made the call to ASSIST in evacuation,
while at the same time trying to get my own tailbone out of there...

I find the fact that people were instructed NOT to evacuate, especially
now knowing an ex-FBI agent who was intimately involved in not only the
1993 WTC bombing investigation but the terrorist bombings of the African
embassies and the USS Cole was now in charge of WTC security, extremely
suspicious...especially keeping in mind that more than one disaster drill
had been conducted at the towers in the few weeks preceding 9/11...

>Last month, FBI sources confirmed that O'Neill was under investigation after
>he left a briefcase containing classified information unattended in a hotel
>in Tampa, Fla., last year. The briefcase, which was recovered and returned to
>O'Neill, contained several documents that included a report outlining
>virtually every national security operation in New York.

THIS should set off everyone's alarms....

So now we have a guy who at the very least was criminally negligent in
leaving classified data regarding NYC security procedures available for
anyone to read....and had to be responsible for the instructions to WTC
occupants to NOT evacuate after the planes hit.

June

Check out Alternative Kite Radio at
http://www.altkiteradio.trancetechno.com

Alternative Kite Radio (low-bandwidth)
Alternative Kite Radio (high-bandwidth)
Alternative Kite Summer Beachparty Radio (it's always summer somewhere)
Alternative Kite Holiday Radio (everyday's a holiday)