http://www.webleyweb.com/tle/libe144-20011022-07.html

}}}>Begin
THE LIBERTARIAN ENTERPRISE
Number 144, October 22, 2001
I Hear America Dying
Luftwaffe to the Rescue
by Jeff Elkins
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Special to TLE
As of Friday, October 12th, the German Luftwaffe will be patrolling
the skies of the United States. AWACS planes have been deployed
from
a NATO Luftwaffe base to Tinker Air Force Base in Oklahoma.
President
Bush announced the action Wednesday, October 10th during
an
appearance with NATO Secretary-General Lord Robertson.

"In an unprecedented display of friendship, NATO air surveillance
aircraft are on their way to the United States to help keep our
country safe. This has never happened before, that NATO has come
help defend our country. But it happened in this time of need.
And
for that, we're grateful," Bush said.

I'm not grateful. I'm shocked and dismayed.

Oddly enough, in these strange times this "unprecedented display of
friendship" has caused almost no comment. Except of course from Rep.
Ron Paul of Texas. Congressman Paul is concerned about this grave
loss of American s
overeignty, and with good reason, too.

"National security is the most basic sovereign duty of the federal government in our
constitutional republic. Neither Congress nor the
president can cede that duty to a foreign nation or body. We cannot
allow the security
 of our own borders to become the responsibility of
any coalition or international organization, whether it's NATO or the
United Nations," said Paul.

Paul blames an interventionist foreign policy which has resulted in an overburdened
American military.

"As a result, we find ourselves unable to deal with the legitimate military crisis
posed by the September 11th attacks. How much longer
can we continue to defend so many other nations, but not our own? The
national securi
ty of the U.S. is the province of the American people
and the American people only.

The stunning delegation of our national air defense to foreign forces
marks a sad day for America. The war on terrorism provides us with an
opportunity to strengthen national unity, but we must begin by
reaffirming Americ
an sovereignty and defending our own borders."

As usual, Dr. Paul has placed his arrows right in the center of the target. This
action of Bush's is one of the most outrageous presidential maneuvers in the history
of our country.

Can you imagine what public reaction would have been if JFK had done
something so unprecedented and unconstitutional during the Cuban
Missile Crisis? Before you could have said "Ich bin ein Berliner,"
the country would be
en in an uproar and Kennedy would have been
facing an outraged Congress.

Or for that matter, what would the reaction of a Republican Congress
been to such an action by William Jefferson Clinton?

>From Article 2, Section 2 of the US Constitution:

The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of
the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when
called into the actual Service of the United States;
Strangely enough, I don't see one word about importing Hessians to
provide for the common defense of the United States. The implications
of foreign troops being assigned to what could be considered as
combat duty on US so
il are truly astounding.

Imagine this story on the front page of the Washington Post:

In the wake of destructive riots in Los Angeles, Bundeswehr troops
will be assisting California National Guard units in providing
crowd control and also in distributing water and emergency rations
to the stricken city's i
nhabitants. "In an unprecedented display
of friendship, German Chancellor Schroder is sending crack Bundeswehr troops to the
United States to help keep our country
safe. This has never happened before, that Germany has co
me to
help defend our country. But it happened in this time of need. And
for that, we're grateful," says President Bush.
I'm sure that the thought of foreign ground combat troops serving on
US soil seems like pure hyperbole. I'm just as sure that the thought
of German military aircraft patrolling our skies would have been just
as outlandish
 one month ago.

A few AWACS aircraft are in and of themselves of no particular importance, but the
precedent being set here is terrible. In addition
to civilian oversight, one of the more basic things that protect us
from military rule i
s psychological in nature. American troops swear
an oath to defend and preserve the Constitution of the United States
and that oath is taken seriously by serving officers and enlisted
personnel. Obviously, foreign troops
have no allegiance to our
constitutional traditions and by allowing
them to perform combat
duties on our soil, we're taking a step down a
very slippery slope.

It's become commonplace to joke about the "UN helicopter and
tinfoil
hat" crowd when referring to Americans concerned about the
ever
increasing globalism and interventionism of our foreign policy.

Somehow, it's not so funny anymore.
 Next
to advance to the next article, or
 Previous
to return to the previous article, or
 Table of Contents
to return to The Libertarian Enterprise, Number
144, October 22, 2001.

End<{{{
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe
simply because it has been handed down for many generations. Do not
believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do
not believe in anything simply because it is written in Holy Scriptures. Do not
believe in anything merely on the authority of Teachers, elders or wise men.
Believe only after careful observation and analysis, when you find that it
agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all.
Then accept it and live up to it."
The Buddha on Belief, from the Kalama Sutta
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                     German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway