FEDERAL INVESTIGATORS NEVER INTERVIEWED TOP TWO EXPERTS: TIME

By TOM TOPOUSIS

October 29, 2001 -- Federal investigators probing the anthrax postal
attacks have never bothered to interview the nation's top two experts
on turning the deadly spores into weapons, Time Magazine reports.
William Patrick III, who designed biological weapons for the United
States, and Ken Alibek, a key figure in the Soviet bio-warfare program
until he defected in 1992, both say they could play a major role in
the probe.

"We're the only ones who have worked with this stuff and made it,
milled it, aerosolized it and measured its properties," Patrick said.
"Who the hell in the FBI has ever seen weapons-grade anthrax powder?"

Patrick is a consultant in Maryland, and descriptions of the anthrax
lead him to believe it was expertly prepared.

The material is highly concentrated and pure.  Of particular concern
to Patrick is the light, fine texture of the spores, suggesting an
additive to prevent clumping in order to make it easily airborne.

"Whoever is doing this has a knowledge base that is pretty damn good,"
Patrick said.

http://www.nypost.com/news/nationalnews/32772.htm

<PRE>Post to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Unsubscribe to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] List
info: www.topica.com/lists/biowar
</PRE>