-Caveat Lector-

--- Kris Millegan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 Homeland Insecurity
 A Sacramento journalist is taken into custody by
 police and forced to destroy photos by an over-
 zealous National Guardsman.
 I’d gone to the domestic frontlines of the War on
 Terrorism to observe the new security apparatus in
 action, and the new security apparatus had
 terminated my observation without cause.
Nakano comments:
Me too!
Except in my case the National Guardsman smashed my
camera with his boot heel!

On Friday Oct. 19th my oldest daughter, my 16 year old
son and I were in New York City. We went to "ground
zero". We were standing near a barricade in the
street on the south side of the WTC site.  My son
clicked a picture of the rubble about a block down
the street behind the barricade.  A national guardsman
in jungle camo uniform yelled at my son and motioned
for him to step over to the barricade. The guardsman
then grabbed the camera out of his hands and yelled,
"No pictures allowed here".
He turned and started to walk away and I called
out to him:  "Hey! Are you taking our camera?"
At that point he pointed to a small sign that looked
as if it was written with a Marks-a-lot marker on a
piece of cardboard. The sign said: "No photography
permitted". We hadn't noticed the sign until he
pointed it out.
I said: "OK we won't take any pictures".
He threw the camera down on the street and stomped
it 3 times with his boot. Then he looked back at
me and said: "Have a nice day!"
I replied: "We are not the enemy!"

The thought quickly crossed my mind that if I
protested
further or asked to speak to his superior, we might
get held for questioning or who knows what and we
didn't have time for that.....so we left.

We walked around the entire perimeter of the WTC site.
There were hundreds of people with cameras taking
pictures from many other locations.  For whatever
reason, pictures were not allowed at that one
site to the south side of the WTC.

On the subway ride back to upper Manhattan, I said
to my 16 year old son.
"Hey....plane tickets to New York...$400.
 Cab fare down to Ground Zero...$18.00
 Fuji disposable camera...$10.00
 Military police smashing your camera......Priceless!"

Incidents like this one and others such as the airline
security people that seized an 82 year old
grandmother's nail clippers...illustrate that the
government doesn't have any understanding of who or
what the "enemy" is.
I am reminded of Pogo's famous quote:
"We have met the enemy, and they is us."
   Regards to All
     Nakano

http://personals.yahoo.com