Victor David Hanson: Divided we stand

http://www.nationalreview.com/hanson/hanson102601.shtml

"Those in the media seemed startled to see Richard Gere and Senator
Clinton roundly booed at a recent benefit concert for
the victims of September 11. Gere clearly earned his
opprobrium, by smugly lecturing the audience - among them
relatives and close friends of the dead - about
the immorality of their desire to punish the murderers.

Mrs. Clinton may have been hissed because the politics
of her husband's administration projected national weakness and timidity,
which prompted these attacks. Or perhaps concertgoers remembered some
of her hare-brained pronouncements about her own purported victimhood
during the health-care debate, when she was bothered by
angry callers. Or maybe New Yorkers in general were
just fed up with her past coziness with Palestinian
leaders. Or was it that the crowd believed that
Gere and Clinton live in a different world from
their own? There is a growing class division in
this country over the war. Of course, 90 percent
of us, of all classes, at least for now
profess support for strong military action. Yet at least
a tenth of the country - a very influential
tenth in the media, the university, politics, foundations, churches,
and the arts - is adamantly and vocally at
odds with most Americans. Why is this so? It
is often not a divide between Democrats and Republicans.

Nor does the abyss always separate the wealthy from
the poor. Most strikingly, the fault line pits a
utopian cultural elite against the working middle class. On
campuses, especially public universities such as the California State
University system, one feels the tension constantly. The tenured,
well educated, and relatively affluent among the faculty are
adamantly against the military response in Afghanistan. Yet the
students - mostly children of the working-class of every
conceivable ethnic background - almost uniformly support our troops.

Similarly, I watch the well-heeled upper echelon on television
chastising our government and then see my twin brother
- with decrepit pickup truck, fighting the lowest agricultural
prices since the Great Depression, losing an ancestral small
farm to the bank - proudly driving in and
out with a tattered flag flying from his truck
antenna. Recent emigrants in Selma, my hometown - which
is now nearly 85 percent Mexican-American - have plastered
fresh American decals over faded Mexican flags. Yet when
I come to work, professors, who have done far
better in America, suggest that our classes should now
read Edward Said to "understand" the crisis "in its
proper prospective."

Those who are not thriving in America
seem incensed by attacks on their country, while the
beneficiaries of this wonderful system of freedom and capitalism
are cranky - like angry puppies who gnaw and
chew at their mother's ample teats. The usual explanations
about the sociology of dissent do not quite make
sense any more. So far, those who are fighting
in Afghanistan - mostly highly trained pilots and special-forces
operatives - are not from among the unwashed poor.

The affluent Left, then, is not opposed to action
because the less-privileged are dying in droves. Is it
because the better educated are more sensitive to world
opinion? To the nuances of Islam? To the "Other"
in Afghanistan, who are not male WASPs? To the
vagaries of the European press? Perhaps. Perhaps not. Rather,
I think fashionable anti-Americanism and pacifism have now become
completely aristocratic pursuits, the dividends of limited experience with
the muscular classes and the indulgence such studied distance
breeds. Our pampered critics may be as clever as
Odysseus, but they have lost his nerve, strength, and
sense of morality. And so they have neither the
ability nor desire to ram a hot stake into
the eye of the savage Cyclops to save their comrades. ...

Our new smug aristocrats are convinced that
the Taliban and bin Laden are akin to an
angry news producer, a supercilious dean, or perhaps a
high school vice-principal run amok - pushy types who
can be reasoned with or flattered, or, barring that,
paid off, out-argued, petitioned, or ignored. Theirs is the
arrogance of the Enlightenment, fueled by the ease of
American materialism, which alike suggest that their nation is
too good, too sophisticated, too wealthy, and too modern
ever to stoop to fight in the gutter with
13th-century terrorists over a mere 6,000 dead. Cannot the
hateful gaze of fascists in the Middle East -
like those of the crazed road-warriors on the freeway,
or wild-eyed thugs on the train home - be
simply avoided? Or reported to the authorities? Or -
in extremis - reasoned with in polite give-and-take? Would
a man or woman with ample free time, a
title, and a nice car and house - America's
critics circa 2001 - risk all that to tangle
with a psychopath who has nothing to lose? And
over what? An insult? A little money? Or perhaps
your life? The firemen and policemen in the audience
know how to deal with bin Laden because they
have seen something like him everyday, and protect those
who have not from his ilk. They suspect that
Richard Gere and Senator Clinton not only know little
about real evil - much less how to deal
with it - but most certainly, in safety, will
sometimes scoff at those who do."

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

www.ctrl.org
CTRL is a discussion & informational exchange list. Proselytizing propagandic screeds
are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please!  These are sordid matters and
'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths, mis-directions and outright frauds—is
used politically by different groups with major and minor effects spread throughout
the spectrum of time and thought.
That being said, CTRL gives no endorsement to the validity of posts, and always
suggests to readers; be wary of what you read. CTRL gives no credence to Holocaust
denial and nazi's need not apply.